Why the Libby?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ENBr said:
I never realized that, it must be the body shapes that made me think otherwise.

It looks rounder and cuter than the old cherokee, so it's easy to miss out on these measurements!

I think what gives that illusion most is the overall height differences between the two...the Cherokee is listed at roughly 64" tall and the Liberty at just over 73". I think this gives it a short stubby look. This also gives the Liberty additional headroom though.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I needed the towing ability and my other brief consideration was the GC but the price difference wasn't worth it to me and since it is bigger I would have needed the v8. I also didn't like the 4wd systems in the GC. The Wrangler would be better off road but didn't have much towing ability so it wouldn't work for me. I also needed some good off road ability and I really liked the selec- track option in the Liberties I looked at. Now that I've had it a while I know it is the right one for my purposes.

P4M

Reaction score
Few reasons:

1. At the time, the Wrangler was too small
2. It was cheaper than many other SUVs
3. It looked good
4. I can tow my boat with it
5. I can throw my bikes on top
6. The overhead lights are handy camping

Really, I don't see myself keeping it once the new Wranger 4DR is in full swing next year. It's a good vehicle for the most part, but the Liberty does have it's drawbacks. But we shall see.

P4M

Reaction score
Ohhh yea...

It was wayyyy cheaper and has a better interior layout than the Toyota FJ Cruiser which I initially wanted.

Matt400

Reaction score
P4M said:
Ohhh yea...

It was wayyyy cheaper and has a better interior layout than the Toyota FJ Cruiser which I initially wanted.
We too were all excited to buy an FJ and followed it into production and then the big let down on the test drive...

The 2 worst blind spots I have ever seen in an SUV with the rear spare tire up that high and the "huge wide" rear pillar behind the passenger.
Those 2 blind spots were a deal breaker for both myself and wife.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Matt400 said:
P4M said:
Ohhh yea...

We too were all excited to buy an FJ and followed it into production and then the big let down on the test drive...

The 2 worst blind spots I have ever seen in an SUV with the rear spare tire up that high and the "huge wide" rear pillar behind the passenger.
Those 2 blind spots were a deal breaker for both myself and wife.

That and it has 3 wiper blades, cost way to much, takes premium fuel, and looks kinda weird, although i think its growing on me.

I read that the tranmission actually shifts when its supposed to and doesnt upshift after it downshifts when going up a hill until you are over the hill. I would like to get my ****** reprogrammed someday... would make it last Alot longer since it wouldnt shift 10 times to get up to speed. Ill never understand why it goes into 4th then goes back out when Im trying to speed up. [-(

sharper

Reaction score
I wanted a TJ but there was 0% on Commander, GC, & Libby. Was going to look at a black GC but across from it was a Jeep green 65 Anniversary model that just came it. Test drove it & took it home been happy ever sense =D>

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
I read that the tranmission actually shifts when its supposed to and doesnt upshift after it downshifts when going up a hill until you are over the hill. I would like to get my ****** reprogrammed someday... would make it last Alot longer since it wouldnt shift 10 times to get up to speed. Ill never understand why it goes into 4th then goes back out when Im trying to speed up. [-(

Oh they joys of manual transmission :)

rxraptor02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I just moved with a new job that requires me to drive a lot. Having a 1992 GMC full size pickup with 2 wheel drive and a 5.7L about to turn 130,000 miles was not going to cut it. So I went on a search for some basic items that i wanted. smaller motor, A/C and some other features. So off i went looking at cars in a new town new dealer unaware of reps...etc

I was looking for
better gas mileage
front wheel drive or 4x4
4 door
power options

room for the dog
room for co workers or clients
something that looked good.

I found something that fit my needs from every major mfg.

but the jeep dealer I felt treated me better.

And the Liberty fit the bill.

I was looking at a wrangler with a 5 speed but someone took off with it just after I looked at it. I am glad I didn't buy the wrangler. the 5-speed would of been a pain in the traffic I deal with and not enough room for the dog or others.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just adding on. I like having the extra space in the libby over the wrangler. You wouldnt think when you go offroad you would take much, but after getting everything you need it adds up fast.

Just alittle added plus, with a lift, locker, skids and sliders, the libby is decent offroad. \:D/

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach