Why the Libby?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cindy'sMan

Reaction score
Ok, we bought my wife a 02 Sport and she loves it. Now it's my turn to start looking. I want to stay in the Jeep fam, but tell me why some of you picked the Libby over other Jeep products.

cowdogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really wanted a Wrangler, but with wife and 2 kids and large dog, they just aren't big enough. The Liberty seemed to be the most logical choice for me, something I could wheel, not too expensive and roomy enough for my needs. If I could afford one of the new 4-door Wranglers when they come out that would be ideal but we all make concessions somewhere. :-({|=

2003KJ

Reaction score
Wanted the go anywhere ability of a wrangler, but the cargo room of atleast a Cherokee...the Liberty is the exact cross and has fit my needs very well!

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We went to look for a car (one that could fit me - i'm taller than average), and remembered I test drove one in south africa, so we went to jeep. They had no more wranglers left (someone just bought the last one), and this beautiful blue KJ was sitting in the showroom just calling us to buy it. So we did! Better than the wrangler i think: it's comfortable and had plenty of load space. And some back legroom.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started out wanted to get a grand cherokee, but with all the options I wanted GC would go all the way up to 47k. With exact same options at the time, and with more flexible 4x4 transmission (selec-trac) and all the luxuries I wanted, KJ was the winner. Although I never had liked the way Jeep engine spit all the noise to the cabin, i got used to it.

At first even before GC, I always wanted to get a wrangler, but later gave up on that thinking it is not a good choice for the primary vehicle, especially with darn cold winters of New York, or taking clients out to dinner. :)

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the other replies summed it up pretty well.

Affordable
Room for cargo/passengers
Comfort
Visibilty
Goes where most other vehicles fear to tread

2003KJ

Reaction score
hyedipin said:
or taking clients out to dinner. :)

Thats another reason I needed a Jeep big enough, but not too big to completely destroy my budget....Didn't think I could get 4 other people comfortably in a TJ...LOL.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted a Grand Cherokee, 99-04...but I decided to go with the Liberty because of gas milage, because I would've insisted on the V-8 option on the GC if I had gotten it. Plus this is the 4th Liberty added to my family and everybody else has been pretty happy.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like my libby b/c there is not another libby/suv out there like it. Its safe, is awesome offroad(with proper mods), looks good, seems to be reliable, is easy to work on, I could go on for days. \:D/

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know what, I tried to think of another SUV that intentionally wants you to put 4 lights mounted in a molded light bar on top of your vehicle. Oh, and pull it out of the dealership with it already on, from the factory. Tehee.

Matt400

Reaction score
Cindy'sMan said:
tell me why some of you picked the Libby over other Jeep products.
* Short wheel base and excellent turning radius
* Hard-top sealed passenger compartment

If we spend an hour or two on the road getting to where we will do some off roading its a much nicer environment than a Wrangler, the dog can put its head out the window, the power windows make that nice, getting into an Ice chest in the back is more easy plus there is room if you go to the grocery store with it.

If money was no object I would have looked at the 07 4dr Wrangler with power windows and hard-top. But you know what...The Liberty is still shorter plus this is a 3rd vehicle for us and we didn't want to worry about scratches off road. We got it used at a fair price.

Second place would have been a Cherokee favoring its solid front axle but at the sacrifice of the Liberty's short wheel base. Were mild off roaders and am happy with the decision.

The main thing is to consider what you want the vehicle for and not get hung up on something you feel is just cool.
For example- I like a Rubicon Wrangler soft top...their sweet looking! but just wouldn't be as functional for what we do with the Liberty.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was originally looking for grand cherokees, i wanted a 2000 or newer, wanted to stay away from the 99's because of their known problems. I had been looking for a few months for a limited with the v8 in my price range. Then when gas prices started to go up a little in my area, i realized that the v8 wouldnt be a wise choice. Then i started looking for a liberty, i had always liked the renegades, i wanted a silver or a black one. And when the dealership that i was working at got in a catus green one on trade, I was in love with the color, it was the first time i had seen it in person. I drove the liberty one night after work and was in love. I got the info of the previous owner who had traded it it. And it turned out to be a one owner liberty that was owned by a lady with all the service done up to date. And thats when i decided it was mine. i got a hell of a deal on the renegade and 2 days after the vehicle was traded in, it came home with me.

Matt400

Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
The Liberty's wheelbase is longer than the Cherokee's....
Wow, your right by 2.9".
I never realized that, it must be the body shapes that made me think otherwise.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never realized that, it must be the body shapes that made me think otherwise.

It looks rounder and cuter than the old cherokee, so it's easy to miss out on these measurements!

Matt400

Reaction score
I see the turning radius on the Cherokee is 35.7 vs the Liberty's 35.9 but thats so close I doubt you would notice.

Oh well...I still like the Liberty over the Cherokee and it may have been a challenge to find a one owner Cherokee with 30K or less on the odo.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We wanted a Jeep, and wanted the extra room over the Wrangler without spending as much money as a Grand Cherokee with Leather. The wife and I love our Limited Liberty. We saw it and we wanted it! I almost bought another one in fact, but I started working at home, so I sprung for a Wrangler since I personally didn't need a daily driver. I was seriously considering a white CRD. I still think about it I admit... (biggrin) My wife uses our Liberty for her daily driver, and then I drive it on nights and weekends. It's just a great all around Jeep.

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I needed a offroad rig that had good fuel mileage and could pull a boat or travel trailer over long distances in all conditons. The only one I saw that fit the bill was the CRD and I haven't been disappointed.

Members online

No members online now.