Why do 3.7's seize?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richardkay624

Reaction score
I own a 2004 Limited with 71000 miles and have always maintained it
with oil changes every 3000-4000 miles using Mobil 1 5w-30 with Mobil 1 oil filters and have
replaced spark plugs twice with Autolite platinum. Also have new fluids
in both diffs(synthetic) and have new fluid in the transmission due to a
torque converter replacement ( was serviced at 30,000 miles also). I replaced power steering fluid and just replaced brake pads with Duralast Gold along with new rotors. Brake fluid was replaced along with transfer case fluid, recently. I read about replacement engines being needed, but no elaboration about why the engines seize. Can anyone answer this question? :)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not heard of wide spread seizing 3.7's. Take care of it and it will be fine.

The valve springs on the other hand.. not much you can do about those breaking..

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own a 2004 Limited with 71000 miles and have always maintained it
with oil changes every 3000-4000 miles using Mobil 1 5w-30 with Mobil 1 oil filters and have
replaced spark plugs twice with Autolite platinum. Also have new fluids
in both diffs(synthetic) and have new fluid in the transmission due to a
torque converter replacement ( was serviced at 30,000 miles also). I replaced power steering fluid and just replaced brake pads with Duralast Gold along with new rotors. Brake fluid was replaced along with transfer case fluid, recently. I read about replacement engines being needed, but no elaboration about why the engines seize. Can anyone answer this question? :)

I can't think of any engine seizing except for being starved of oil. If there's oil in the engine, then there would have to be some sort of systemic defect-- say rampant oil pump failures-- and failures where the user didn't get a warning light or anything, which would cause catastrophic failure. Strange. Can you link to this story you read about the replacement engines?

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Speaking of that, is a new replacement engine really considered a mod, or just an expensive fix?:p

Expensive fix, IMO.

Especially if it's replaced with the same thing that you pulled out of there.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Combo of sludge...and lack of oil...but you seem set on oil changes, so no worries about it seizing...

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Expensive fix, IMO.

Especially if it's replaced with the same thing that you pulled out of there.

Yes, expensive fix. It's only a mod if it's different than what it was before. If I break my rear axle and replace it, it's not a mod, unless I put in a different axle suspension parts etc.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, expensive fix. It's only a mod if it's different than what it was before. If I break my rear axle and replace it, it's not a mod, unless I put in a different axle suspension parts etc.

It IS different than it was before.
It runs!

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not heard of wide spread seizing 3.7's. Take care of it and it will be fine.

The valve springs on the other hand.. not much you can do about those breaking..

At least two, maybe three on this board in the last few months, IIRC.

While I never ran mine out of oil (or even close) and I am usually very particular about maintenance, mine blew up at 110,000 miles.

Only thing I can point to that MIGHT have been my fault is waiting to around 6000-7000 miles between oil changes on a pretty regular basis while using regular old dino oil, not synthetic.

My head gasket blew (really nobody's fault), causing coolant to mix with the oil, causing my engine to go kaboom. When they got it disassembled, they found alot of worn items. It still may have lasted awhile if the head gasket never went.

PS - "Seize" is not a good term to use to describe an engine blowing. Engines don't really seize per se, i.e. stop rotating. They just destruct to the point of barely running and/or producing zero power.

Last edited:

richardkay624

Reaction score
Here is one link I found:

2002 Jeep Liberty 59000 miles engine seized. I bought the extended 8 years 80000 miles, but they will not cover it. Stating poor maintenance. ...
www.carsurvey.org/reviews/jeep/liberty/r37243/comments/
26th Jul 2005, 18:35

2002 Jeep Liberty 59,000 miles engine seized. I bought the extended 8 years 80,000 miles, but they will not cover it. Stating poor maintenance. Sludge in the oil. We did our oil changes regularly, but do not have receipts for proof so we are at their Mercy. Then dealership tells us $7,000 to build new engine and of course I can't afford that so it sits in my driveway still making payments. When I do get the money to fix it I will not take it to a dealer. They are too expensive, but again they have me at their mercy because if someone else does the work then the warranty is voided all together. What good is an extended contract?

Dee.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, #1 Dee has problems and needs to grow a set and make the dealer replace her engine under the extended warranty she purchased.

#2 These engines having ANY problems is much more the exception than the rule. They are great engines and despite the issues I had, I'd still recommend a vehicle with a 3.7 to anyone.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I never ran mine out of oil (or even close) and I am usually very particular about maintenance, mine blew up at 110,000 miles.

Only thing I can point to that MIGHT have been my fault is waiting to around 6000-7000 miles between oil changes on a pretty regular basis while using regular old dino oil, not synthetic.
So 10,000+ miles between old changes is not "particular",read all your psots and you have repeatedly stated 10,000+ miles oil changes.

Well, #1 Dee has problems and needs to grow a set and make the dealer replace her engine under the extended warranty she purchased.
Actually no receipts for proof of oil changes at allowable intervals will kill any warranty after the 3/36 ones goes bye-bye,gotta read that fine print which nobody ever does,or rarely.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Here is one link I found:

2002 Jeep Liberty 59000 miles engine seized. I bought the extended 8 years 80000 miles, but they will not cover it. Stating poor maintenance. ...
www.carsurvey.org/reviews/jeep/liberty/r37243/comments/
26th Jul 2005, 18:35

2002 Jeep Liberty 59,000 miles engine seized. I bought the extended 8 years 80,000 miles, but they will not cover it. Stating poor maintenance. Sludge in the oil. We did our oil changes regularly, but do not have receipts for proof so we are at their Mercy. Then dealership tells us $7,000 to build new engine and of course I can't afford that so it sits in my driveway still making payments. When I do get the money to fix it I will not take it to a dealer. They are too expensive, but again they have me at their mercy because if someone else does the work then the warranty is voided all together. What good is an extended contract?

Dee.
$5 says they're full of it. No engine just seizes out of nowhere. Period. There has to be a reason behind it. Anyone who does not have regular proof didn't perform the oil changes. Heck most places these days keep track of your receipts and if you go to the same place, most people do, they can look up your receipts!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Actually one can if a bearing spins but lack of maintenance is a key player there also.

Then that has to be a completely piece of crap engine, which shouldn't make you do anything but wonder how the heck it passed quality control at the plant?

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard of any major problems with the 3.7L gas engines. As long as you follow the owner's manual recommendations and follow common sense you shouldn't seize your engine.

Also if you care about your ride use quality products. You do get what you pay for.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then that has to be a completely piece of crap engine, which shouldn't make you do anything but wonder how the heck it passed quality control at the plant?
Not common on newer engines but in the '80's and older OHV engines it would happen alot when your reaching 100,000+,not common but happened alot to Chrysler,Ford,and Chevy.The OHV engines used a 1 piece cam bearings which where prone to "spinning" unlike the 2 piece bearings that SOHC and DOHC engines only get.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
ya troy is right my dads buick regal did it all the time