White bedliner roof, Super ******** or Superbly Stupid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the other morning I stole an iron fence from a demolished building and as the randoms on the street were helping me put it on the roof of Mr. Darcy I got a few scratches :( But that got me thinking.... What if you bedlinered your roof in white? I feel like that would be awesome! It would... (I have no proof to any of these statements, just pulling stuff out of my a**) 1. Make a nice tough coating on the roof so it can handle whatever theft I'm into that week, also stand up to the beating it gets when my 5' self tries to throw my paddleboard on the roof. 2. It would be energy efficient for the air conditioning!

I think it's an awesome idea, and I found this website that seems like it would be a pretty easy way to do it. I haven't looked into pricing or anything, but I think it would be amazing! I would also be one step closer to creating my jeep miniberty, which might be my dream come true.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what are you asking? I have thought about it myself. Think it would look a bit like a FJ. And the white would help here in Vegas. Lol. As I sit here in a jacket in about 60 degrees with my teeth nearly chattering. I hate the cold!! Perhaps that is why I left Wisconsin all those years ago lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on bedlining mine in the standard black/charcoal summer in the spring (when I have a garage again). I am going to use the UPol Raptor system.

I think for your neck of the woods, the white makes sense. I want to do my bumpers, flares, beltline down, and roof. I'll have very little paint to worry about then :)

Oh, think I may do part of the door sills and the inside of the lower part of the doors to help with corrosion issues in the future. Just have to make sure I am smart so the door seals work properly. Haven't really looked at it or considered it in depth since it's about 6 months out from being done.

My vote would be to do it!

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess my main concern is even though a lot of people talk about doing their fenders and such, I've never heard much mention of painting over the metal parts that are already painted. I know very little about that sort of thing so I'd hate to find out that it would actually be detrimental to the metal or something like that.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what product to use?

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hoping it would look more like a mini cooper than an fj... I don't know how those paints work but I could mix in a tiny bit of gold paint and it would look more like a lighter version of the rest of the jeep and not so blatantly white but still have the advantage of reflecting more light for cooling purposes

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I just finished my door sills after grinding all the rust off... looks professional! Just a thought, if you don't want white you may not need it. The plasticized paint actually has insulating properties.... even in black.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
= I've never heard much mention of painting over the metal parts that are already painted. I know very little about that sort of thing so I'd hate to find out that it would actually be detrimental to the metal or something like that.

That's the prime base for it - solid, clean, painted metal - as long as the paint is adhering well, as the bedliner will stick to the paint, which will stick to the metal. It was never really intended for plastic flares and whatnot.

It wouldn't be detrimental to the metal at all.

If you're going the DIY route, I've read great things about the UPOL Raptor product. I think this is what I'll use. The have a tintable variety if you'd like. If you're getting it sprayed by a pro, I think Line-X is supposed to be one of the best.

If you're getting a tintable one, no need to use gold and "get it close" - You can get a really good color match if you wanted to. For me, I want to have the two-tone look. I don't want it to match my vehicle.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say NO
The FJ's come with a white roof
Why on earth would you want your Jeep
To look like a "copy cat" FJ

I don't want to look like a FJ but it would with the color scheme. Mine started dark garnet but will have a black skirt and a white top with a red middle. Unless I can think of a way to go Red, White and Blue with white on top lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markc

Reaction score
The only negative I've heard about it, is the weight it adds. The larger the area, obviously the more weight you add, much more than paint. Local guy did his entire SUV. It is bomb proof now, but it added a lot of noticable weight.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only negative I've heard about it, is the weight it adds. The larger the area, obviously the more weight you add, much more than paint. Local guy did his entire SUV. It is bomb proof now, but it added a lot of noticable weight.
Typical 1/8" thick bedliner your looking at about 15-17lbs for 1 gallon sprayable.So doing a roof will add about 3-4lbs of weight,doing a whole vehicle like a KJ would be about 25-30lbs of extra weight.Yeah your not going to notice it,either will your KJ.

Mine has been bedlined black for 9 years now,believe it or not it's cooler inside then before the bedliner.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Why do people keep bringing that up. It's a myth! :happy175:
Noticeable weight? Cmon dude....it's mostly psychological me thinks :smokin: Probably wind drag....

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The people with considerable weight probably used a cement gun rather than a paint gun. That would add a decent bit, look pretty sweet too ;)

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was inquiring on the colored bed liner. For my Falcon wagon. The previous owner carpeted the cargo area. I am suspecting to make it look nice (duh). Normally the cargo area had thin rubber mat, but 47 years of service its gone. But problem is, the access ports to remove the top shock bolt is under the carpet now. I was thinking of having it Linex'd in color. But its a two stage process. They linex it then they paint it. I hear there is other process's other than Linex that you can shoot in color but requires a special gun.

My thought on the color bed liner on the roof. I guess depending on your desired look, black liner on white paint, or white on black, or black on red. would look good. But why not simply line it in the same color as your Jeep. Mine is white so white bedliner wouldnt show and be very durable.

I was looking at the ARB bumper about a year ago and was going to have it powder coated or linex'd in color to match the Jeep.

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go for it in white, Kitty. Just be sure to follow the prep instructions and clean thoroughly (or have it sprayed someplace).

My buddy has a white roof on an old Bronco in gator guard and it looks pretty sweet.

http://www.eastwood.com/white-gator-guard-ii-truck-bed-liner.html

Cheap and you're right about visible spectrum reflecting more off of white - way better in hot sunny places, but guano better be white where you are or it'll show nasty!