Which thermostat to use? Oem or aftermarket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bluefish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! My thermostat has been staying open when it should be shut, making the heater very cold and causing the temp to go to 1/4 on the gauge. Problem is I need to fix it TODAY, so I can move tomorrow to my new house six hours away haha. Figures right..?

My local shop could order one from the dealer for me and have it this afternoon, or would I be okay with one from Napa? Any brand preferences, or any bad experience with aftermarket thermostats in these engines? (3.7l) TIA!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! My thermostat has been staying open when it should be shut, making the heater very cold and causing the temp to go to 1/4 on the gauge. Problem is I need to fix it TODAY, so I can move tomorrow to my new house six hours away haha. Figures right..?

My local shop could order one from the dealer for me and have it this afternoon, or would I be okay with one from Napa? Any brand preferences, or any bad experience with aftermarket thermostats in these engines? (3.7l) TIA!

I used the dealer one simply because it has the gasket included in it. I'm not sure if NAPA's needs a separate gasket or not. OEM was cheap enough for me not to go for anything else.

Bluefish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, alas I went with the OEM part. My old boss is ordering it from Jeep, they deliver to his shop multiple times a day and he's just down the street. Will try and post some pics of the part and install!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Good choice on the Mopar Oem. :waytogo:
It has the rubber gasket & the brass air bleed hole & 195 degree specs.
54599[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• JeepMoparThermostat68174083AA.jpg
    JeepMoparThermostat68174083AA.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 2

Bluefish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting article I stumbled across about thermostats, helped me understand them a little better :)

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/aftermarket-parts/1308-low-temp-thermostats/

I run a low temp thermostat in my 88 Bimmer 3 series, but for the Liberty it seems like "hunting" as described in the article would be the concern between different qualities of thermostats. I was always adamant about OE thermostats in my customers cars when I was a service writer, this article totally backs me up!

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a brand new engine (3.7) and it just hit 2600 miles and set a p1281 engine cold too long. Stuck thermostat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup, need to pressure check to make sure there are no leaks.
Also no trapped air, use bleed screw hot, and check cold level in the AM on reservoir.
Try a new Mopar thermostat for sure.
A longer period of block heater use can also trip that code or similar, but generally the light will then go off after driving a while.

Last edited:

Bluefish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little follow up, I used the factory Mopar thermostat, which comes with the gasket and it worked perfectly with no issues. Nothing like using factory parts, I had a six hour drive the day after towing a trailer and put about 1k miles on in the past week. So I was happy to be confident with a factory thermostat!

Cheers and thanks for the input and advice folks :)