Which rear axle do I have ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I went out last night and tried to find all the stuff I would need to change the rear diff oil. I couldn't find 75w140 in dino-oil, but they did have it in a synthetic and a "synthetic blend". Anyway, I passed on both of those to try another place to find the oil in a non-synthetic. Then it dawned on me that I might be doing it wrong.... I need to know if I've got that damn Trac-Lock or whatever it's called before I know if I've got all my supplies or not. :disgust:

Anyhow, is there anybody in here that can take my vin number and get the info back to me ?? It's much appreciated :)

:cheers:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year KJ? Most likely you will have the 8.25 rear diff(flat botton diff).To see if you have the OEM trashloc either look at the axle tubes to find the sticker that will say,if still readable,or jack both rear tires of the ground(KJ in "P") and try and spin one rear tire.If you can not spin one tire you have the trashloc if you can spin one(and the otherside spins backwards) you have the open carrier.

No 75w-140 dino,use 85w-140 dino gear oil.