Which ipod controller?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DavidG

Reaction score
I have seen the P.I.E. CHRY02/PC-POD Chrysler-to-iPOD Interface at logjam electronics and car stereo expo and the PA11CHR at crutchfield and audio outfitter. Both seem to connect through the CD changer interface and I do not see any meaningful differences. Has anyone here compared the two and found one better than the other?

stratjb

Reaction score
I bought the PA11CHR from CarDomain.com and love it. It works great and is the cheapest of the bunch. Main options are:

two ways to control it - Playlist mode(all songs have to be set up 5 playlists set up by you ahead of time and then disk 6 is all songs on the iPod) and Direct mode (lets you use the iPod to control playback out of disk 6)

it charges the iPod while running and for 1 hour after the car is turned off

it also comes with an AUX input that when set up can be accessed as disk 6

easy install

Check out the research and review at Cruthfield.

DavidG

Reaction score
I also bought the USA Spec PA11CHR but from Crutchfield. Although the first one (unit or cable) was defective and did not make a good connection for the right side audio, Crutchfield was very prompt at replacing it and I am happy with it. Where did you run the iPod end of the cable? Right now I have it coming out above the parking brake but was considering cutting a hole in the center compartment and running it into there.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my PA11chr. I mounted it to the metal portion on the back side of the knee bolster, kick plate, whatever. I have my ipod attached to some of the plastic trim just below the OBD conntector on a black case so it's harder to see, but I can always take it with me. The cable is also coming out from the trim. Hundreds of your songs, beats Sirus and XM.

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't..

I find it hard to imagine 100-200 for a'controller' for a 200.00 ipod.. god that's a rip.. I have a 30 gig 5 generation ipod video.. i use itrip FM.. it's so so.. OK quality.. but can't bring myself to buy the 200 'adapter'

stratjb

Reaction score
I mounted the controller and the ipod in the glove box. I'm currently using the playlist mode but didn't want to have to disassemble anything to change the dip switch for direct mode or for the dip switch for the AUX input.

As for the price. CD quality sound for 109 beans with free shipping from CarDomain. Beats a modulator everytime for me! \:D/

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compatible with RB1/Sirius Install?

Anyone know if this unit (PA11CHR) is compatible with the RB1/Sirius factory install (no CD changer)?

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree

My thought was that the adapter for these Ipod (IMO) seems so pricey.. Mind you I'm far from cheap.. just as to what it is... look back to the walkman adapters with cassette... what are they 5 bucks?? 109.00 fine.. but as to what it does.. seems it should be alot less.. but then again.. look at the cost of everything else in the world.. up up and away....

stratjb

Reaction score
I don't believe that this interface is compatible with Factory Navigation systems or head units with built in 6 disc changers, but check out the application specs on crutchfield.com.

As far as the price goes, this interface is almost half the price of some of the others and has the same basic functionality. Certainly better and cheaper than adding an aftermarket CD changer and way more versitile.

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't Chrysler/Apple releasing an "official" iPod integration kit? Is this not it?

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
jjo said:
Isn't Chrysler/Apple releasing an "official" iPod integration kit? Is this not it?

yes they are! I just read about it in the news.

Bennett

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up...

PIE...

CHRY02/PC-POD2 The 2 at the end denotes the newest controller.. plugged it into my RB1 Navigation... works great.. the 2 model lets you control the ipod from the radio/steering wheel.. and ipod itself.. I didn't get any display.. except.. changer.... track 1 etc... I ran the wires into the glove box.. cut no holes.. found the center console was more of a pain.. since I have my arm on it.. the dash lets my co pilot change tunes or such.. I can do it...

124.00 $ www.ancoauto.com

Paid 20 for 2 day shippiong.. have the % gen Ipod video.. have on ebay.. for sale.. my 5 gen I trip.. check it out.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5860211742&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

HwnJeep

Reaction score
Bennett said:
jjo said:

yes they are! I just read about it in the news.

Bennett

Any more on this? :-k

I have the PC-POD (original) and the wife, who drives the Jeep mostly, doesn't like the playlist navigation.

HwnJeep

Reaction score
Thanks Bennett. That implies only for '05-'06. I'll have to check the radio code. It would be nice if they gave a little better description/picture as well.