Where to ground?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. I need to ground a switch and also an AC power outlet which ar ein the center console. Where is a good ground location where i wont have to sand?

2. I also need to ground the power inverter under the driver side passenger seat. I am using 8 guage wire to ground it. Where is a good location to ground this wire that is for the most part out of site and require little sanding?

Thanks for the help.

jp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about where the seat is bolted to the floor?

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for location 1 or 2? and i needed to sand under the front passenger seat where that bolts to the floor nearest the center console in the rear of the seat when i grounded the battery there. There is a dry cell under the passenger front seat and everything is hooked up and installation of that is finished.

i relocated an outlet and the switch from the power inverter to the center console. i need to ground those.

The power inverter is being installed under the driver side rear seat. I need to ground that as well.

I hope i clarified this up enough to make it easier for you guys to help me out. All wires are run and all i really need to do to finish it is to ground everything and then connect the power and see if everything works fine. Thanks again for the help.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you take the kick-panel off on the drivers side, you'll see a bolt where a few other things are already grounded. That spot should work pretty well, and you can just run the wires under the moulding.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i found a location under the bolt to the rear bench. the driver's side kick panel will not work. you should always have your ground within 18 inches of the device you are grounding. all the way up front would be way too long.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bennett said:
Not true it is fact...

Your ground wire should ideally be 18" long at most — a longer ground wire can cause noise problems.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/I...se_suppressors_installation_guide.html?page=3

And also from my expierience it elimated noise.

1. I need to ground a switch and also an AC power outlet which ar ein the center console. Where is a good ground location where i wont have to sand?

2. I also need to ground the power inverter under the driver side passenger seat. I am using 8 guage wire to ground it. Where is a good location to ground this wire that is for the most part out of site and require little sanding?

Neither of those are car audio applications.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Generally noise is bad thing for any type of electronic device that's plain and simple. Especially, if he ever plans on plugging any type of audio device into his inverter whether it be an mp3 player, laptop, or game console for instance and then wants to connect it to his audio deck. He will have "noise" in the sound channel guaranteed if the inverter is not grounded properly, because of the differing voltages of ground between the deck and the inverter, this is known as a ground loop.

Grounding in the center console is a real bear to say the least. You could go under the bolt for the E-brake, but wherever you do end up grounding it would be best run sandpaper to get nice clean metal to put your wire up to. My suggestion is this… Use 8 gauge wire strip one end of it off to have about 3 inches of bare wire exposed. Then take the wire and make a loop end. Unbolt and remove the passenger or drivers seat. Now… you need pick one of the 4 bolt hole areas for the seat and sand around it. After you finish sanding, you may put the seat back in, but before you set it down place the loop you made with the wire in between the seat mount and the bolt hole so that the wire is sandwiched in between. Bolt it up nice and tight and now you have an awesome ground.

Bennett

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bennett said:
Generally noise is bad thing for any type of electronic device that's plain and simple. Especially, if he ever plans on plugging any type of audio device into his inverter whether it be an mp3 player, laptop, or game console for instance and then wants to connect it to his audio deck. He will have "noise" in the sound channel guaranteed if the inverter is not grounded properly, because of the differing voltages of ground between the deck and the inverter, this is known as a ground loop.
Bennett

Hmmm, I require more information to argue this any further.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
Bennett said:
Bennett

Hmmm, I require more information to argue this any further.

Do a google for ground loops.... anyways, I know it because of electrical engineering classes I had in school.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have experience in helping out at a professional audio shop. ive learned all of my car wiring skills from there. ground loops suck. play it safe and keep it short. i wish i could get some pics. all of the wires are well hidden and you dont see them except the ones that pop out of the cargo area going into the battery and amplifier.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fasto82 said:
i have experience in helping out at a professional audio shop. ive learned all of my car wiring skills from there. ground loops suck. play it safe and keep it short. i wish i could get some pics. all of the wires are well hidden and you dont see them except the ones that pop out of the cargo area going into the battery and amplifier.

I will concede the point.

For now.

TAKE SOME PICTURES. Im anxious to see how you have everything setup.

Latest posts

Members online