Where to carry extra fuel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NastyKnate

Reaction score
Im heading out on a long roadtrip in a week and a half. i know i wont get the same mileage from a tank of fuel as i did in my ram. so i want to take a can with me. its stock. has the roof rack but no crossbars. no trailer hitch. so my only option would be inside the vehicle.

sounds bad. why is this a bad idea? if the can is sealed tight would it be fine?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im heading out on a long roadtrip in a week and a half. i know i wont get the same mileage from a tank of fuel as i did in my ram. so i want to take a can with me. its stock. has the roof rack but no crossbars. no trailer hitch. so my only option would be inside the vehicle.

sounds bad. why is this a bad idea? if the can is sealed tight would it be fine?

I think you could be good if you just keep it on the ground in the passenger seat. It'll smell and be quite obnoxious no matter where you have it on the interior. But if you want to try something, try to use a couple of bungee chords and strap it to the back of the seats where the carseat hooks/bag holders are.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is a picture I googled. This isn't my Heep.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you going to be over 275-300 miles from a gas station?
Most of these newer cans I wouldn't want inside my vehicle

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When we had our KJ and I had
"hurricane duty" for work
all I did was ratchet strap 3 5 gallon cans
to the roof rails with a towel under them
between the full tank and the extra I was good
for just over 500 miles ,wind drag killed me
I would NEVER put a gas can inside a closed space
that I plan to be in
You could strap 1 5 gallon can to the spare
This is only about an extra 35# and considering
that people carry 10 ply tires on steel wheels on
the same carrier you stock wheels and tires + the
gas can full would be about the same

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't want to carry gas inside the vehicle.

Something you can mount on the spare possibly?

Or just gas up at the last gas available before you go into the boonies where you can't get gas. That's what I do. I get pretty good range on a topped-off tank even using 4wd.

Dave

NastyKnate

Reaction score
i like the idea of using ratchet straps to fasten it to the spare. no idea why i didnt think of that.

as for straps on the roof, i dont trust it up there. i have no reason for that though

as for distance, its approx 1000km each direction. i can fill up in sudbury. from there its about 500km to the next stop i think... however, there may be a pump or two in a couple small indian communities on the route. ive done the drive once before, but i was getting 650km per tank and had no issues.

i should also add that im a smoker, so i really dont want it sitting in the seat beside me :) im going to test using straps on the tire this weekend and see how it holds

Last edited:

NastyKnate

Reaction score

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Before fitting the basket on our truck I strapped a 53 litre Flo N Go gas can directly to the roof bars. I placed a slab of one inch thick closed cell foam on the roof and placed the fuel container on that.
Worked fine.
When it's time to fill the Jeeps tank you just stand it up and it's all gravety fed so you don't need to hoist the gas can.

NastyKnate

Reaction score
the daystar set looks perfect, but i cant find anything with reasonable shipping to canada. tomorrow ill run around and see if i cant find a local shop that can get them. otherwise its a 5gallon military style tank and some ratchet strap to the spare

i like the idea of flo and go, basspro has a 5gallon flo n go for under $50. even canadian tire sells the fuel packs for ATVs but no spare tire mounts

NastyKnate

Reaction score
so i settled on something. on the cheap. i got a 4pack of heavy duty ratchet straps. on for half off at cdn tire, and a 5gallon gas can. ill strap it to the tire. and with the can i got, it will fit a proper mount if i ever buy one. when i have it mounted, ill post a pic. after the trip well see how it worked out

rkkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5 gallon is better than the 2.5 the other sytem carries. But yes, the only time you have too much fuel is if you're on fire! I'm thinking eventually I'll find a way to mount a 5 gallon can directly to the gate on the left side of my spare. I'm a little leary about hanging things off my spare.

NastyKnate

Reaction score
5 gallon should be enough. ive kind of worked it out in my head. i know where ill fill up for sure, but im iffy if the other spot still exists. if it doesnt, 5gal should get me to a small town, if not, it will be close enough for a walk to refill it.

if it was winter i would def carry another one