Where are all the Trac-Locs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnnyB

Reaction score
I've been looking at Libertys for a few weeks now and noticed that very few of the models on dealer lots have the limited slip differential. Since I plan to use my vehicle for mild off roading, I would think the limited slip would be a must have. Is this thinking flawed?

Thanks

Flaren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think LSDs on Libby's kinda fall into the same category as getting mine with a 6-speed manual do - few and far between. I ended up ordering from the factory to get a manual that wasn't loaded up. My dealer only found 1 within 300 miles of me, but it was totally bling-ed out. Your Trac-Loc, from the EXTENSIVE research I did through several dealer inventories while looking for a manual ******, seems to sort of fall into the same category. I came across a few with that option, but I think I saw maybe like 4 total all spreadout within a 300-mile area around where I live (southeast MA.) All of them were loaded up with all kinds of other options, too. Not saying that's a bad thing, but I couldn't afford all the extra goodies right now, so I ordered one the way I wanted it. In any event, if you're serious about it, talk to a dealer, they sometimes a better view of local inventories than you can find on Jeep.com. Just my (longwinded) $0.02 =)

P.S. The folks looking for Selec-Trac full time 4WD seem to also have run into the same issue, too.

Flaren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't myself. My KJ is going to be mostly on-road driven for probably quite some time, but that's not to say I won't off-road her occasionally. For her current main use as my DD, though, I decided to go non-LSD, personally. I have vague thoughts of possibly installing one down the road, however. (whistle)

cameoex

Reaction score
I was in the same boat. I couldn't find a KJ that matched everything I wanted. I ended up getting everything but the LSD. I figured I could always add an aftermarket one later if I found I really needed it.

farwellbooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine off the lot with the LSD and as you've pointed out there were only a couple out of 40 or so. And it had more options than I wanted (side curtains) but glad I ended up getting it. Oddly enough it came with most options including the LSD and no skid plates?! (except the front that used to be on all of em)

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted the selectrac with full-time 4wd for the ever changing New England road conditions. I also wanted an LSD. I also wanted to buy one off the lot when they really wanted to sell it to make their numbers. I got 2 out of 3 - no LSD. I've been thinking about what the options are. Sounds like some of you guys have also. Seems like one option is adding a locker to the rear diff. What do you guys think? Would that be a better option than adding LSD and what would the difference int he costs be?

Thanks for any info!

Bob

p.s. Flaren, I'm in SE Mass too.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
Emoto said:
I wanted the selectrac with full-time 4wd for the ever changing New England road conditions. I also wanted an LSD. I also wanted to buy one off the lot when they really wanted to sell it to make their numbers. I got 2 out of 3 - no LSD. I've been thinking about what the options are. Sounds like some of you guys have also. Seems like one option is adding a locker to the rear diff. What do you guys think? Would that be a better option than adding LSD and what would the difference int he costs be?

Thanks for any info!

Bob

p.s. Flaren, I'm in SE Mass too.

this thread discussed some LSD options...
http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=729

Flaren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, another Masshole to commiserate with! Hehe. I see you also have been sharing the recent weather-walloping. I know as soon as I get my KJ, it'll stop snowing just to spoil my fun....lol.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
Flaren said:
Ah, another Masshole to commiserate with! Hehe. I see you also have been sharing the recent weather-walloping. I know as soon as I get my KJ, it'll stop snowing just to spoil my fun....lol.

well if you wouldve ordered it 30 days ago...................... (whistle)

TRAILN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have yet to see my trash-lock work. Rear wheel in the air and it spins like an open diff [-(

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
<-----------------------------(points at avatar) I didnt need no stinking trac-lok to get outta that one....LoL

TRAILN said:
I have yet to see my trash-lock work. Rear wheel in the air and it spins like an open diff [-(

arent u spose to do the e-brake trick or something?

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
i was sweatin bullets there tho....till Adam asked me "are you in 4-lo?"

i hear ya....
guess u shouldve spent the money on lockers instead...no?...

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JohnnyB said:
I've been looking at Libertys for a few weeks now and noticed that very few of the models on dealer lots have the limited slip differential. Since I plan to use my vehicle for mild off roading, I would think the limited slip would be a must have. Is this thinking flawed?

Thanks

JohnnyB,
forget the factory LSD, and put in a Powertrax No-Slip in the rear when you get it home. (very easy install with good directions -around$375.00) It's street friendly in rain and snow as long as you don't stomp on it. Off-road it's great!

jeepmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the lsd and I,m happy with it. Only been offroad twice but I've left a couple TJ's in the mud. Oh yeah they were hauled out.

tomjonesrocks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trac-Loc LSRD came on my '02 Pre-Owned Limited. Didn't know this was an uncommon thing. Also do have the side curtains though as a previous poster mentioned (but not some of the other options, like the tire-pressure display and heated seats--bummer!).

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you buy from a dealer that's "4x4" oriented, you'll find more models with LSD than without. Some dealers try to keep MSRP down whilst ordering, but they never look at the small fact they'd gain more sales if they were optioned with it....I don't see $285 MSRP and $257 FWP keeping anyone out of a Jeep or a RAM 2500/3500 personally. I own a 2003 RAM 2500 4x4 Crew Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, and it has the LSD option as well. The LSD option was a "must have" for me on the CRD and the CTD....would not purchase one without it personally.
Greg

Tightwadsjeeper

Reaction score
I know that they had to SEARCH to find what I insisted was mandatory..... which was

1) 4x4 (only ~ 1/4 were 4x4 down here in Florida)
2) Tow Pkg. (was on about 1/5 of the 3.7L engine models)
3) Trac-Loc (There was only one on the dealers lot with this.. and it was a Limited)
4) Silver or the light Blue (can't remember what it's called... Atlantic Blue?)

WITHOUT all the high end options (ie. Limited, CRD, Adventure pkg, Chrome pkg, etc.)....

The only one that met my criteria also had the Sirius radio.... so I wound up with that as well.

Luis