Wheel noise/vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alvarofb

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I am new to this forum. I've read great stuff all over the site but finally had the need to actually post something.

So I had a bad wheel bearing, I was getting these growling noise every time I braked. And there was also some noise when the car was going forward. I did the job this past weekend. While I was working on those bearings I decided to change the rotors too. I did not change the pads because i did those less than 6 months ago.

After I changed the bearings (rear end), the growling noise was gone but then I started to hear this "tapping" noise, (very similar to a bad bearing noise). Please see the video attached to this post. The noise gets louder the faster I go, but can be noticed even when going at low speeds. The noise feels like it synchronizes with a vibration, mostly from the right side (When driving you can see the passenger seat shaking/vibrating). When I make a right turn, the noise/vibration becomes less severe and if I go straight or turn left you can definitely hear it/feel it.

My first theory is that the axle was worn out from the previous bad bearing I had installed, and now with the new bearing on there is excessive play in the axle making it even worse than before.
Second theory, is that I damaged the new bearing when I installed it.
Third theory, is that I have a bad front right wheel bearing (which I don't think, but you never know)
Fourth theory, something like suspension???

I am not a car expert but can do some things, please take a look at this and help! Thanks in advance!!

[YT]hmpyT0yPriQ[/YT]

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill take a deeper look. Get the alignment checked? Also how many miles on your tires. Oh and we have the same radio :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenchikioto

Reaction score
I think I may have the same problem. So I have a question not an answer. You said you changed the rear bearings, but sounds like you also did the fronts also. Is this correct? I was thinking my problem was the front bearing hubs. Will be watching to see if someone can help.

alvarofb

Reaction score
I did not change the front wheel bearings. Only the rear, I thought that I damaged the bearing on the rear right end so I went ahead and installed a new. Unfortunately the noise is still there. So it may be tires and alignment. My tires were really worn out, so I needed them anyways. I am buying new tires and getting the alignment done today, we will see if this fixes the problem. I will post the outcome of all this. Good luck with your Jeep, and if it is the bearing in your car, changing them is not complicated specially for the front.

nocTurNalX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might be a perfect time to get new tires and do the alignment. You can eliminate more possible source of noise.

alvarofb

Reaction score
I got the new tires and the alignment done. The vibration on the car is almost gone, but the tapping noise is still there. I told the guy from the tire shop that I had that tapping noise and I was hoping if the new tires were going to take care of it. They took a close look when it was up on the lift and even took it for a ride. He said that the tapping noise must be coming from the rear axle shaft bearing..
Since I have done the wheel bearing already, got the new tires and alignment, I guess this makes sense. All I know if that is the case, it will be kind of a pain to get it done.
Any thoughts? You guys think that is the right diagnosis?

alvarofb

Reaction score
I was just showing my car to one of my friends from work. He is a really good car mechanic and has broad experience. His first thought after going for a ride was that it was the right rear end wheel bearing, I told him that I had just replaced it (2 days ago). The noise definitely changes if you shift the weight of the car from side to side, which still makes me think it is a wheel bearing, also if it was something in the differential, the noise should not change when you shift the weight of the car I believe... Which then makes me think that it is something on the right side of the car. Front wheel bearing?? - Possibly. The one thing I forgot to mention is that I have bad cv axles, I hear a clicking noise when I turn the wheel too much to one side. So if the cv axles are bad, could this make the tapping noise when going fast??
I have been reading a lot about wheel bearings and some people are really sure that it is a rear bearing in some cases and it ends up being the front.
Looking forward to hear from you guys. Thanks!

projectkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont think you would get a big vibration on the wheel bearing.. would sound like metal on metal grinding....

alvarofb

Reaction score
i dont think you would get a big vibration on the wheel bearing.. would sound like metal on metal grinding....
The vibration on the steering wheel is gone after the alignment. I still have some vibration on the passenger front seat though, which is not too bad. But the tapping noise is definitely still there.