Wheel Lock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - I bought my KJ used and the spare tire is secured by a lug nut style wheel lock. Of course, the Jeep didn't come with the "key". Any idea how I can get this thing off?

Thanks!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That won't work, there are several different variations of patterns (I think).

Only way I would know would be to weld a nut on the top of the wheel lock and use that to remove it. I had that issue on my first car. I had the lock, but the PO had messed up the key a little, and it was too tight - the key kept slipping off. I can't weld, so I had my mechanic do it for me.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, welding is going to be the only way for this, make sure he covers the tire so the sparks don't damage the spare or paint. Or he can remove the tire carrier first and work elsewhere. I hope that nut is weldable..

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking maybe to grind/cut flats so you could grip the nut, but with how recessed they are in the rim I don't see that being easy. Weld would be the easiest.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
SERIOUSLY, if they are the MOPAR locks, the dealer MIGHT have one that works to remove the lock. I remember one time I left mine at home, and they had one laying around that worked "well enough", I guess, to take it off.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked with the dealer...they said they could "probably" get it off. By "probably" I figured they weren't really sure and that they probably couldn't get a lock to match and would have to rig something. Basically I was just wondering if anybody had any tricks I could try, and some of you do! Thanks for the help and if all else fails I'll bring it to the dealer to see what they can do.

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call your local tire shop. At the shop I used to manage, we had a set of lock removers made for people who lost their key. We had to use them all the time. You could probably get them to do it for 5-10 bucks. If they came off easy, I did it for free (as long as they were potential tire customers of course..)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a socket that almost fits in the hole that the key would fit in. Take a hammer, and beat it on the lug. Take it off and be happy.

Make sure its a socket you wont need again. ;)

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a socket that almost fits in the hole that the key would fit in. Take a hammer, and beat it on the lug. Take it off and be happy.

Make sure its a socket you wont need again. ;)

Not to ask a stupid question, but if it's his spare, wouldn't that risk denting the tailgate?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - I bought my KJ used and the spare tire is secured by a lug nut style wheel lock. Of course, the Jeep didn't come with the "key". Any idea how I can get this thing off?

Thanks!
When I got my KJ the wheel lock key came in a bag with a card from McGard with the serial # for the key if it ever should be lost.I suppose that little card isn't in the owners manual would it? If so just mail $10 to McGard with the serial # and they will send a new key to you.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sears sells wheel lock removers(a set of 3) for $20,good for 3/4",13/16",and 7/8" wheel lugs/locks.

That's kinda stupid....buy a lock, and any kid can walk to Sears and take it off anyway for $20. Not saying I don't believe you because I do, it's just contradictory.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's kinda stupid....buy a lock, and any kid can walk to Sears and take it off anyway for $20. Not saying I don't believe you because I do, it's just contradictory.
I've had similar setup for years,also bought a master slim jim kit,though the book I have only show's how to use the kit on all vehicles(and I mean all,including exotics like Ferrari and Lamborghini) up to '03.It's also very easy to by-pass OEM alarms and sentry alarms with a scanner and a multimeter(thanks Astro-start and GM).

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread on different ways to get wheel locks off for our "in case of emergency" use. Maby one of the mods would consider moving it to the "members only" section...???

Dave

Latest posts

Members online