Wheel Center Caps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waterddd

Reaction score
My wheel center caps the one that says jeep. Keep falling off. I have lost 3 of them after owning my liberty for 4 months. I thought it was the car wash. So after the car wash I would look but thats not it. I do not do any off roading. The dealership is replacing them at no cost when I schedule service. But its still a pain. Anyone else having this problem.

Thanks Bob

dnm45227

Reaction score
Just wondering, did you figure out why the center caps keep falling off? A fellow at work has lost one, but he lost his shortly after having new tires put on.

waterddd

Reaction score
I have lost 2 more. The dealer told me that I am the only customer thats having any problems. I keep checking at the car wash to see if they are blowing them off with the powerwasher. The dealer thinks that there getting stolen. Just yesterday I closed the rear door with the spare on it and the center cap fell out maybe there just to loose. So I just won 5 on ebay and I am going to glue them in. Thanks for asking.

k21975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any reason NOT to glue these in? We are having the same problem. We have lost 2 in a span of 2 weeks. We do live in the city so it's possible that someone is stealing them, but there are two other liberty's in our neighborhood that have not lost any.

Does anyone know the purpose of these center caps? Do they EVER need to come off?

Thanks.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lightfoot44 said:
use gorilla glue

I'd use a few dabs of silicone adhesive. Keep in mind these caps have to come back out in the future for a tire change/balance.

k21975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do the center caps have to come off for a tire change? They don't cover the lug nuts.

Thanks for the help.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Center Caps

k21975 said:
Why do the center caps have to come off for a tire change? They don't cover the lug nuts.

Thanks for the help.

Doesn't matter, check the pics to see where the tools go through the wheel:
You must be registered for see images

Unless the shop has this type, but the cap will still come out for the balance machine. Convinced yet?

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and also dont forget if a stud breaks off or even worse a lug nut cant get taken off a stud they can take off the center cap and then loosen the nut under it to remove the entire wheel hub and take out the studs from behind the wheel. I had tuner lugs on my neon's aftermarket wheels, the type where the key goes inside the lug and not over it. well thanks to Kost Tire and Muffler overtorquing the lug nuts, two of the lug nuts cracked while trying to get them off and there was no way of getting them off besides removing the entire hub and cutting the studs from behind the wheel by going through the center cap.

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they sending you the right caps?

There are several versions of caps for the Mechanica (ltd wheels)... mostly alloy ontop of plastic 'clips' while others are all alloy w/ alloy clips are more likely to fall out. Just bend these alloy clips outward if u got these.

If they are the plastic clips. Your wheel center may be remachined or polished perhaps. Did u buy ur KJ new? Was there warranty on the wheels ie re-polish pitting? The plastic ones are hard to pull out and must be pushed out from the inside of wheel. Same on Dodge trucks etc.

did u got to non dealership for new tires?

BTW, I always take the caps off b4 going to tire shop. I drive w/o caps on my chromies.

Also put the Ram caps on if the dealership will give u some of those...

k21975

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We bought the jeep used from a dealership. Although the factory warranty is still in effect until June or July. Do you think these are covered under warranty?

Thanks for the help.

eldredg

Reaction score
Have this issue with a new after market OEM style wheel. Thinking I might just put a couple of wraps of black electrical tape around the clip part Anyone tried this? Did the cap stay?