wheel bearing or CV joint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

capecodbob

Reaction score
LF like a knobby tire, assumed wheel bearing, ordered new. bought 35mm soc., and 6pt set., got 35mm nut off, could not budge 6pt bolts, realized wrong new hub and sent back and gave up months ago.
Started in again last wk, got used knuckle/hub from NC not crusty, broke it all down and mushroomed axle shaft with nut now stuck. Put all back together and drove, .Got new axle shaft and tackled again. Had to file mushroom off and finally got knuckle off and put on used and got all back togethet and STILL have growling !

So, bad used hub ? Or CV joint ? No clicking noise. I'm just gonna drive it. Only 20-40 miles per day, no highway ?

capecodbob

Reaction score
LF like a knobby tire, assumed wheel bearing, ordered new. bought 35mm soc., and 6pt set., got 35mm nut off, could not budge 6pt bolts, realized wrong new hub and sent back and gave up months ago.
Started in again last wk, got used knuckle/hub from NC not crusty, broke it all down and mushroomed axle shaft with nut now stuck. Put all back together and drove, .Got new axle shaft and tackled again. Had to file mushroom off and finally got knuckle off and put on used and got all back togethet and STILL have growling !

So, bad used hub ? Or CV joint ? No clicking noise. I'm just gonna drive it. Only 20-40 miles per day, no highway ?
I did not put on the new axle shaft

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has the noise gotten worse over all this time? Is it the same noise with the used hub? Seems like a failing wheel bearing would have gotten much louder over that time. I'm assuming you rotated the tires to rule that out? Are the CVs on both ends of the front driveshaft ok? It's not coming from the front diff (has it been serviced?)? If all this is ok then I'd probably put the axle shaft on since you already have it and see if it helps.

Latest posts

Members online