whats the difference?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
45RFE KJs are the only ones with a separate TCM and ECM.

42RLE (03+) all have a PCM (powertrain control module)

For a short period the 2003 libertys with the 42rle had separate computers for the ****** and engine. Someone posted pics of their engine bay and ******. They were confused since they had two computers but also had the 42rle ******.

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive heard of pulling the line and running it, i think poring it in as you did would just pump out new fluid. you would need something to pump new fluid into the other end of the cooler line. thats how our machine at work does it. pulls the old stuff out and and pumps new in its place its a 100% changeover, and we run almost 15qt through so you get a lil extra flushing.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive heard of pulling the line and running it, i think poring it in as you did would just pump out new fluid. you would need something to pump new fluid into the other end of the cooler line. thats how our machine at work does it. pulls the old stuff out and and pumps new in its place its a 100% changeover, and we run almost 15qt through so you get a lil extra flushing.
Running through only 15qts in a trans that holds 14qts is not much of a flush.I pay for and they use 28qts of ATF+4 when the dealership(the only thing they get to do) does my flush on my trans.

Don't forget the trans needs to be in "N" or the trans does not pump anything.

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most will pump in park, theres only a few that "have to" be in "N". on these its not much of a flush but still completely new fluid and not just 4qt like droping the pan, but on say a civic that holds maybe 8qt max its a deal. the fluid itself isnt really flushing it its the addative thats run with it.

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
The 45RFE needs to be in neutral, AJ.

Also, the chemicals aren't needed. ATF's primary function is to clean. Why would you put a cleaner with a cleaner? So you can chew up your clutches while you clean?

ThunderbirdJunkie thought Tire Kingdom was the only company that still did chemicals with a trans flush, and they quit that well over a year ago when they started using an ATF4 compatible Pennzoil trans fluid.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most will pump in park, theres only a few that "have to" be in "N". on these its not much of a flush but still completely new fluid and not just 4qt like droping the pan, but on say a civic that holds maybe 8qt max its a deal. the fluid itself isnt really flushing it its the addative thats run with it.
Your trans and any auto trans in a KJ needs to be in "N" to pump fluid.

If your using the chemical you really need to run at least twice the trans capacity to get all that chemical out of the trans.

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i personally wouldnt use it in mine as it just smells like diesel fuel. and i think ive done a few kjs in park unless our machine is pumping and doing the work. i know atf is a cleaner but i think corprate america is alwasys looking for something else to charge money for, ive ran trans fluid before an oil change a few times in my old chevy and my dads ford.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Most modern flush machines don't actually do the pumping, they just let the transmission do the work.

What shop do you work for, just out of curiosity?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i personally wouldnt use it in mine as it just smells like diesel fuel. and i think ive done a few kjs in park unless our machine is pumping and doing the work. i know atf is a cleaner but i think corprate america is alwasys looking for something else to charge money for, ive ran trans fluid before an oil change a few times in my old chevy and my dads ford.
And doing damage to the trans if your pumping fluid threw the trans when the trans pump is not the one pumping it.

The good machines will not let you start the flush until it reads fluid flow to prevent damage and reverse hook ups of the lines.

Lots of new Fords will not pump in any selection(through the cooler) until the fluid is at a certain temp,major damage will result if you try and force pump them.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
If you're using an Everwear machine, it does not do the pumping.
Their coolant flush machines, however, do.

The only thing you hear running in the Everwear machine is the mechanism that measures how much fluid is going through.

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now if you ran say 16qt through, dropped the pan and changed the filter then ran another 15qt that would be a hell of a flush.

Last edited:

AJK381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think TBJ knows more about our machine then i do haha. all i know is the only vehicle ive ever had to put in "N" was a late 90s dakota( which might have the same trans as us) yea ours has a flow indicator and if it doesnt light up you switch the lines.

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called the dealership today, and they said 150 to do it, I've made a little extra money here and there and it dosen't sound like a half bad idea to let them do it. but that is the only thing they would get to do..