What's the best fuel mileage to expect in a diesel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atikovi

Reaction score
Going to look at an '05 with 200K+ miles. Never drove one before but had many other diesels. I'm thinking it's a 4 cylinder diesel, only a little bigger and heavier than a VW Jetta/Passat TDI which can get 50 mpg. How much less will the Jeep do? If you take it easy, can it get around 40 mpg? Mostly flat roads at a steady 60 mph with no cargo for instance?

tscott1224

Reaction score
I believe they get around 25mpg. I was looking at them for a while before I bought my KJ(which is gas). Just make sure the timing belt has been done, or do it when you get it. Also my daily driver is a TDI Jetta. 50mpg is great! I saw one gas Jeep Liberty that had a blown motor that they took a Jetta's motor and swapped it in, it was getting 30+ mpg with the Jetta motor.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most are seeing 22-28mpg's.A few are getting 30-34 but do all that unsafe hypermile junk.The CRD is a heavy pig,4300lbs stock with the areodymanics of a brick which both kill mpg's.

One with 200k I wouldn't expect much.

kev92gt

Reaction score
Saw 20.2 on drive today. My question is to use just k&n drop in or whole cold air system?

Members online