What's going on?? New battery, higher MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OptimaJim

Reaction score
Hi BjBnet, when I mentioned driving habits, it wasn’t so much about how you drive your vehicle, as where you drive it- mountains or even hilly terrain, windy conditions, wet or snowy conditions, cold weather, lots of passengers or cargo or lots of starting and stopping all can have a negative impact on mileage. If someone has their battery changed and their tire pressure was checked and it turned out to be low, proper air pressure can significantly increase economy.

If our batteries did make a difference in mileage, I’m sure the hyper-milers would’ve picked up on it by now, but I won’t try to talk you out of it and I’m glad it’s working for you. I can tell you that 12.3 volts is too low for a YellowTop, but any properly-functioning alternator should have no trouble maintaining our batteries, provided the vehicle is driven long enough to allow the alternator to do its job. The voltage of your battery when your engine is running is the output of your alternator and should be approximately 13.7-14.7 volts. Fully-charged, YellowTops should measure approximately 13.0-13.2 volts, but lots of short trips can slowly discharge any battery over time, if the alternator isn’t give enough time to replace the energy used to start a vehicle.

Do you keep any accessories plugged into your vehicle, like a Garmin or Satellite radio? Do you know what your “key-off” load is? The typical key-off load is about 25 milliamps, but loads exceeding 100 milliamps can slowly discharge a battery (just ask the Corvette guys). This video explains some basic battery diagnostics, including how to measure your key-off load- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yPlx4MBNRU

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

Wally

Reaction score
Something is going on...I appreciate your comment though!

There is an easy answer to this, at least where I am in CO.

On the gas pumps here in the states, most will say may contain up to 10% ethanol. In the winter months the gas refineries will use a higher ethanol content to avoid pollution. During the winter in Denver you can actually see a brown cloud over the city since the cold air holds this pollution down.

In the spring, when you replaced your battery, the refineries will lower the ethanol content which improves everyone’s mileage. Most people do not ever see a difference. Those that pay attention will. You may have changed you battery at the time when the ethanol content went down.

At what point does it benefit the environment to have lower mileage?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an easy answer to this, at least where I am in CO.

On the gas pumps here in the states, most will say may contain up to 10% ethanol. In the winter months the gas refineries will use a higher ethanol content to avoid pollution. During the winter in Denver you can actually see a brown cloud over the city since the cold air holds this pollution down.

In the spring, when you replaced your battery, the refineries will lower the ethanol content which improves everyone’s mileage. Most people do not ever see a difference. Those that pay attention will. You may have changed you battery at the time when the ethanol content went down.

At what point does it benefit the environment to have lower mileage?
The 10% ethanol is year round here in CO,and the refineries do not add it anyways,it is added at the transfer stations where all gas stations(no matter the name) get there gas from.

Wally

Reaction score
The 10% ethanol is year round here in CO,and the refineries do not add it anyways,it is added at the transfer stations where all gas stations(no matter the name) get there gas from.

You may be correct on where it's added, but I am sure that the percentage added changes during the year, and that it affects MPG. It's common knowledge. If you pay attention to mileage using the same station, you will see fluctuation a few times per year.

I'd love to find a station that does not add ethanol at all.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may be correct on where it's added, but I am sure that the percentage added changes during the year, and that it affects MPG. It's common knowledge. If you pay attention to mileage using the same station, you will see fluctuation a few times per year.

I'd love to find a station that does not add ethanol at all.
Nope it's 10% all year round,the ambient temps is what effects your mpg's and how long you idle the engine(longer in winter).

Colder temps means it takes longer to reach operating temps and that also means your PCM is in open loop status longer which is a preset fuel/air mix which is richer then when in closed loop status when the O2 sensors are adjusting the fuel/air ratio.

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quite true! We see it up here all the time, and we do NOT have ethanol in our fuel.
The change can be as much as 2-3 mpg. Most folk would not notice it but having an evic makes it much more noticeable. Have found that using the block heater seems to help in getting it up to operating temp and thus closed loop sooner, but daily driving in temps that range from low 20s F to low -20s F, still just takes more fuel in the denser colder temps.

TigerClaws

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know for fact Temp changes fuel consumption. I do at least a minimum of 400 km/per on the delivery with the Chevy Express. Winter i mostly get around 400-450 km / tank of gas while in the summer i usually do 450-530 km / tank. Keep in mind, i do this run everyday, i can tell the guy at the gas pump how much gas to put into it to have it full at the top and miss it by 2-3$ pretty much everytime loll, even with gas price changes.