What would you do from here?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a crap vehicle they are pretty easy to work on.I've gotten down the time to replace a clutch in them to just shy of 2 hours from pushed in to driving out.

Hate to admit but they are alot easier to work on then a KJ/KK.

I’ve never owned one, the ones I’ve seen were needlessly complex and everything was in the way for simple jobs. Maybe it’s a difference in years? Or I’m thinking of the wrong model.
Other Subaru’s were easy to work on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BillyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 05 WRX was anything but crap- seriously anything other than a Jeep is garbage to you so I really try not to pay attention to your opinion on that.

I traded it in because I needed more ground clearance and something a bit bigger in the back seats for my kids. 134k miles and all it ever needed was a radiator (defect from factory), one set of brakes and scheduled maintenance. I was still on the original clutch, engine and transmission.

That thing was a beast and only broke traction when I wanted it to- twice in the snow for fun. I came to a dead stop on a hill covered in ice because of the AWD system with all season tires and not snow tires.

I did replace the up-pipe and down-pipe with aftermarket parts to increase the flow, K&N drop in filter, better spark plugs, and had a Cobb tuner and was putting 250hp and 300 ft-lbs of torque at the wheels per the Dyno. And I was still getting 23 MPG in the city and 29 MPG on the highway driving it hard though rarely redlining it. I could have gotten it to 300 hp at the wheels by changing out a few more parts and still used the stock turbo.

justjeeps

Reaction score
Looks like your in one of the Snow Belts..

My 03 spent it's life in southern U.S but now I am north of you. I recently had to let my 03 go and replaced it with an 02. The mileage was low around 95 K miles, however I really under estimated the work entailed with the front end, and rust.

My wife and I spent weeks just on the front end dealing with rust.

Have a really, good look at the hard brake lines, especially on the back axle and near the little junction block from the front. Actually that little junction block is on the rear hose but look at the main line running into.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 05 WRX was anything but crap- seriously anything other than a Jeep is garbage to you so I really try not to pay attention to your opinion on that.

I traded it in because I needed more ground clearance and something a bit bigger in the back seats for my kids. 134k miles and all it ever needed was a radiator (defect from factory), one set of brakes and scheduled maintenance. I was still on the original clutch, engine and transmission.

That thing was a beast and only broke traction when I wanted it to- twice in the snow for fun. I came to a dead stop on a hill covered in ice because of the AWD system with all season tires and not snow tires.

I did replace the up-pipe and down-pipe with aftermarket parts to increase the flow, K&N drop in filter, better spark plugs, and had a Cobb tuner and was putting 250hp and 300 ft-lbs of torque at the wheels per the Dyno. And I was still getting 23 MPG in the city and 29 MPG on the highway driving it hard though rarely redlining it. I could have gotten it to 300 hp at the wheels by changing out a few more parts and still used the stock turbo.

I worked service dept at a Subaru dealer- love Subaru's, great vehicles. WRX's were only worse to work on because of all the shit in the way- any other model, or any model without a turbo, I should say, was easy peasy.

The thing about the WRX's I didn't like, and this may have just been the STi's, on most of the roads here in MI, too rough. That suspension was like having 4x4 posts for struts. So damn rough. No way I'd consider that suitable for family on anything but the smoothest of surfaces.