What was jeep thinking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The WK/WKII isn't like an AWD sedan.... MOST AWD sedans work like this...

Power is routed to the wheels that need it most.

The WK/WKII's 4x4 (and it is 4x4) powers all the wheels all the time, there is no shifting, they're always all moving.

AWD: Front Wheel Drive with Rear Wheel Assist (or the opposite)
4WD: All Wheels Moving All The Time

Take the new Durango for instance. It is REALLY 4WD even though it is labeled as AWD.

Natidog

Reaction score
I went with the Liberty Renegade over the Rubicon specifically because of the Select-trac II. I live in Alaska where there is ice on the roads seven or eight months out of the year and the AWD is a much better system for that, especially when towing.

It seems like most people hold the Rubicons or CJ-7's as the bar for an OFV, but in the area I live in there aren't many places a Rubicon could go that my Liberty can't. The mountains come right out of the swamp and you aren't climbing the mountains without a harness. So why not offer a vehicle that is good in snow and ice, has good towing capacity and is one of the better OFVs in its class?

I want my Jeep to be my daily driver. It has to be able to get me safely down the road to the trail and then be able to go right off-road. If you have to go home to pick up your Jeep so you can go off roading, why not just buy a four wheeler?

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take the new Durango for instance. It is REALLY 4WD even though it is labeled as AWD.

But not 4x4. I don't think new Dodge AWD line-up is anything better than AWD sedans. How many differentials do they have, or locking/limited slip differential? Which is what you need most when you want to get out of a ditch or icy parking spot that you left your vehicle the night before. If it ain't locking (or limited slip), it is a fake. That's the bottom line in my opinion.
Does Durango come with low range standard? Just like WK2 doesn't come with it, plus I don't think Durango will come with anything close to WK2.

matt5214

Reaction score
Not an AWD

My 2010 Renegade has a 2WD, 4Hi and 4Lo option. I believe the quadatrac on the Grand Cherokee is 4X4 full time as the original post speaks of.

Chris_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if my 09 kk has command trac but its for sure not selec trac. Whatever it has in it, performs well offroad. I backed too far into a ~4ft deep ditch the other day during a rain, put it in 4hi and crawled out very minimal spinning. I doubt it locked all four wheels though. Just FWIW