What size are the Ring Gear bolts on the Dana 30 Super in my 2002?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm preparing to replace my front diff with a a LSD. Having a hard time figuring out what ring gear bolts I need. Some places say they are 3/8" and some say they are 7/16". The new LSD appears to have the option of using either (it has 20 holes, 10 are smaller and 10 are larger). I have an early 2002 V6 if that makes a difference.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look it up on rock auto, they're usually pretty reliable. What lsd are you going with?

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look it up on rock auto, they're usually pretty reliable. What lsd are you going with?
That was where I looked first. Rock Auto is generally my first step in figuring out part numbers etc but as you can see they don't make the situation clear either.
You must be registered for see images attach

I'd rather keep the thread on point instead of getting distracted by a debate about what LSD is the best, which I suspect is what would happen if I open that door.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was where I looked first. Rock Auto is generally my first step in figuring out part numbers etc but as you can see they don't make the situation clear either.
You must be registered for see images attach

I'd rather keep the thread on point instead of getting distracted by a debate about what LSD is the best, which I suspect is what would happen if I open that door.
Sorry I asked, I'll be more mindful your privacy in the future. Just recently put the spartan helical in the front of mine, but don't tell anyone, it's a secret. You can reuse your ring gear bolts. They are not torque to yield. The factory service manual suggests replacement because that's the stealership way. By that thinking you should replace your wheel studs and lug nuts with each tire rotation.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Dana 30 Super ??
Thats a new one
and yes can reuse

Funny you do not want to share , if it works someone else may want to follow what you did
We share information on here

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dana 30 Super ??
Thats a new one
and yes can reuse

Funny you do not want to share , if it works someone else may want to follow what you did
We share information on here
Ya, we know them as a Dana 30a, but in my research they were often referred to as a super 30, but so were other dana 30's which is why I think some get confuzzled in compatibility questions.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya, we know them as a Dana 30a, but in my research they were often referred to as a super 30, but so were other dana 30's which is why I think some get confuzzled in compatibility questions.
Yes on some sites SUPER is used but misleading and not correct

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I asked, I'll be more mindful your privacy in the future. Just recently put the spartan helical in the front of mine, but don't tell anyone, it's a secret. You can reuse your ring gear bolts. They are not torque to yield. The factory service manual suggests replacement because that's the stealership way. By that thinking you should replace your wheel studs and lug nuts with each tire rotation.
No worries, privacy's not my concern, just wanted to focus on the answer I'm looking for instead of the thread getting away from me, which has happened in the past. Doesn't sound like anyone watching knows the answer anyway - so I'll let my big secret out - I went with the Spartan too. Price dropped to a silly $259 so I had to give it a try. How's it working for you?

If nobody here has experienced the bolts "cracking" like the manual warns I'll probably just reuse, but for under $10 a set on eBay I can afford to splurge on new (old stock). I think 3/8" is most likely correct - that's what Mopar parts sites and Dana Aftermarket comes up with which I should probably trust more than Rock Auto.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries, privacy's not my concern, just wanted to focus on the answer I'm looking for instead of the thread getting away from me, which has happened in the past. Doesn't sound like anyone watching knows the answer anyway - so I'll let my big secret out - I went with the Spartan too. Price dropped to a silly $259 so I had to give it a try. How's it working for you?

If nobody here has experienced the bolts "cracking" like the manual warns I'll probably just reuse, but for under $10 a set on eBay I can afford to splurge on new (old stock). I think 3/8" is most likely correct - that's what Mopar parts sites and Dana Aftermarket comes up with which I should probably trust more than Rock Auto.
I know what you mean about a thread running away from you. So far so good on the spartan, but honestly haven't driven much as I've been dealing with other things. It went in real nice. I used the original shims and pattern and backlash came out perfect. I also reused my bolts. Get yourself a brass punch to get the carrier back in and just go from one side to the other a little at a time. I to considered replacing them, but felt better about the original ones rather than some cheap ones. I'm sure you've noticed the wide range of prices in your searches.

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean about a thread running away from you. So far so good on the spartan, but honestly haven't driven much as I've been dealing with other things. It went in real nice. I used the original shims and pattern and backlash came out perfect. I also reused my bolts. Get yourself a brass punch to get the carrier back in and just go from one side to the other a little at a time. I to considered replacing them, but felt better about the original ones rather than some cheap ones. I'm sure you've noticed the wide range of prices in your searches.
I just went ahead and got some 3/8" bolts off eBay - they're NOS Spicer so quality should be fine. I read somewhere that the Dana 30 upgraded from 3/8" to 7/16" bolts some time around 2000 but who knows if that applied to the 30A or not, and if so when? 3/8" seems small for that amount of torque (95-105 lbs-ft) and I wonder if they had good reason to bump up the diameter? Anyway, I probably threw away $9 but at least I can sleep at night. On your 05 did you need to use the small or the big holes on the Spartan to mount the ring gear? If it turns out I have 7/16" I'll just reuse them.

That's encouraging about the existing shims working out. I can't decide if I should get a shim kit - I have 4 cars so my Jeep can sit a while if it turns out I need to order some. Did you replace the pinion bearings? My 02 was a mall-crawler in the desert southwest before me so the front axle likely didn't do much work if any so I'm assuming everything is pretty good in there - so I'm considering not messing with the pinion and just doing the carrier bearings. So for parts I'll have carrier bearings, dummy carrier bearings, ring gear bolts and gear oil. Debating whether I should replace the pinion seal and pinion nut. Any other suggestions?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you're on the right track, I did replace all bearings with timken (same as came out), but I rebuild a diff out of an '04 with over 180,000 miles. Unless they look pristene, I'd go ahead and replace them. Also if you've got the plastic bushings behind the axle seals I'd swap in the roller bearings. I don't remember which set of holes I used, but you're talking about a 1/16 inch difference. Use the smaller ones if the bolts fit, otherwise use the larger holes. Also the FSM has the torque spec of 70-90 for ring gear bolts on mine which still seems a little high. The rear only asks for 70 and those bolts are about the same size. I looked through some other sources and every other place I could find a torque spec for the ring gear was around 55-65, but don't quote me, do your research. I also seem to remember reading about someone else following that higher torque spec and breaking bolts.

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you're on the right track, I did replace all bearings with timken (same as came out), but I rebuild a diff out of an '04 with over 180,000 miles. Unless they look pristene, I'd go ahead and replace them. Also if you've got the plastic bushings behind the axle seals I'd swap in the roller bearings. I don't remember which set of holes I used, but you're talking about a 1/16 inch difference. Use the smaller ones if the bolts fit, otherwise use the larger holes. Also the FSM has the torque spec of 70-90 for ring gear bolts on mine which still seems a little high. The rear only asks for 70 and those bolts are about the same size. I looked through some other sources and every other place I could find a torque spec for the ring gear was around 55-65, but don't quote me, do your research. I also seem to remember reading about someone else following that higher torque spec and breaking bolts.
Yep, my bad, 70-90 lbs/ft per the 02 manual - that's what I get for googling. Still seems a lot. I'll use whatever holes give the proper snug fit. I think those plastic bushings were only on 05 and later so don't think I have those. Do you think I leave the roller bearings alone then? (unless they seem crunchy?) I'm beginning to think I should just plan on removing the axle and inspect everything and assume I'll probably need to order some more parts - It'll be a bonus if I don't need to.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leave wm of they look good, but the seals are easy with the diff out.

Shankster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to close out this thread in case anyone else needs the info. My ring gear bolts are 3/8". Sadly, the P/N 701071 NOS Dana Spicer bolts I got off ebay that I thought were 3/8" are actually 7/16". I'll just reuse my old ring gear bolts. I don't know if some Libertys have 7/16" but my mid-year 2002 obviously doesn't.

Latest posts

Members online