What service manual should I get? Haynes? Chiltons? Factory?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Q: What service manual should I get?
A: If you want the best-of-the-best for your jeep, get the Factory Service Manual (FSM) from Chrysler. It covers a lot more than any $15 manual will cover, lists every part and has diagrams for everything.

Q: Where can I get it?
A: A hard-copy of this manual is expensive ($100 or so), which isn't bad considering that it's a few thousand pages. There is also a CD copy with PDF files available for considerably less. Some shady people sell illegal copies of this PDF on eBay for much less.

Q: Doesn't anyone here have a copy they can just send me?
A:This is a touchy subject. While I'm sure there are people who have a copy they would love to send you, the public forums here are probably not the best place for that sort of activity, as it is technically just as illegal as asking for pirated copies of software, mp3s, movies, etc.

Q: C'mon, please? I'll pay!
A:That's even worse. At least giving them away has the deniability of saying "I didn't know it was copyrighted, I thought it was a free-for-all technical document!". Re-selling illegal copies of something like that for profit other than the media costs is definitely illegal.

Q: Okay, so where can I get the other manuals from?
A: Your local auto-parts store should have shelves of Haynes and Chiltons manuals, and they probably have one for the Liberty. If not, they can order it.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jkmansell said:
Books get dirty and out of date, go electronic information.
http://www.eautorepair.net/

It's the BEST! =D>

$8/week? That'll add up pretty fast, I'm thinking... How are they for the liberty, do they have any sample pages? Maybe if I could pay just $8 and get a snapshot of the manual it would be worth it....but to have to continue a subscription like that I'd have to really want it for $400/year - or pay $8 to sign up again each time I wanted to look something up.

I agree with you on electronic > paper, because you can lose or damage a book pretty easily, and it's nice having a search feature. You can always print out the chapters you need for a project, bring em out to the garage and get em as greasy as you want and just throw em away when you're done. As for going out of date, I don't think that's much of an issue, you buy a book that's for a particular vehicle and that's that, the book goes out of date just as fast as the car does :p

jkmansell

Reaction score
If you read the pricing, it's 29.99 per year for access and it's updated monthly. They have added 900,000 graphics in the last 6 months for all vehicle lines. One of the best features is the "Color" wiring diagrams!
It doesn't get any better.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jkmansell said:
If you read the pricing, it's 29.99 per year for access and it's updated monthly. They have added 900,000 graphics in the last 6 months for all vehicle lines. One of the best features is the "Color" wiring diagrams!
It doesn't get any better.

Ahh, that's good that it gets cheaper when you buy in bulk.

Looks like they only go up to 2004?