What kind of lights do I want?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

birdtail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am a newbie as far as mods go but I am trying to do as much as I can by myself before I call in a professional for anything ;) I recently found the budget light bar that I want to build, and of course lights to go with it.

However, I'm not sure what Kind of lights I need?

My main concern for them is.. I live in Alaska, and I drive a highway for about 7-8 hours a couple times in the winter.. Pitch black outside, a drive from Fairbanks to Anchorage.. I would like to get some lights that will help me see farther/wider on the highway for Moose... Moose are notorious for running in front of cars on the highway and in the winter, going 60-70mph, it's hard to stop in time safely. and let's face it, a Moose collision at that speed would easily total my Jeep if it didn't kill me! :O

I have 10000k HID headlights, so naturally I am drawn to HID overheads to match. However I will go with Halogen if it's "better".

What type of light and/or wattage should I be looking for to create a decent amount of extra light for the dark driving?

I am hoping to spend no more than $100ish per lamp, $400 total. I have done browsing on ebay but am quite lost as to what to look for, I'd hate to buy something and it not give me any difference.

Also, in our Fairbanks summer we have 24 hour daylight.. It won't get dark like it does in the winter until September/Octoberish, so I can't buy any and "test" them out, what I get will have to be what I'm stuck with.

Backquestion, are the Mopar renegade lightbars worth the $600 ish? I remember briefly seeing the lightbar demonstrated for me two winters ago on a Jeep I considered buying but I can't remember how well they did.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive been looking at piaa 520 atp's...check out the piaa sight it will be pretty helpful, as for the HIDs, im not lookin to cause problems but 6000 to 8000k color temp if the most useful range, at 10000k the light is too purple and due to the intensity and color it bounces off of precipitation and decreases your nighttime visibility, are they in projectors or stock reflector housings?

staindvans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the most useful range of HID is actually from about 3500k to 5500k. after about 5000k it starts to fall off and gets to the point where halogen bulbs would be brighter. i would definately change out those hid to either really good halogen bulbs, i think the philips xtremepower bulbs are the brightest halogens without goin to higher watt bulbs. otherwise i would at least step down to a HID bulb that is in the 4000k to 5000k range for maximum lumens. you could also look for some hella driving lights and a set of fog lights to mount to the bumper.

simond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL.

I know about LED, I just cant afford them darlin ;)

Thanks for the replies everyone!

i've anounced 2 led spot for 400$ ...sell 500 each in store... nobody wrote to me !!! the same that i've linked upper!