What just happened?!?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lmcbee5

Reaction score
Figured I would start a post for this before I take it to the dealer for diagonistic tommorrow morning so here it goes:

I was driving my 05 CRD from Florida this weekend when I stopped to get some fuel. As I was leaving the station all of a sudden it sounded like the turbo was dumping all its boost in a loud whoosh. Now when I go to accelerate the RPMs run up and down even with constant pressure on the pedal until I level off at about 40mph. If I put the pedal all the way to the floor it revs all the way to 4k leaving behind a great cloud of blackness behind me while climbing very slowly. I suspect a hose leak or something has blown off, but I could not find anything immediately upon my inspection. Besides the 2 hoses coming from the intercooler is there anything else I should check?
This is my first diesel and first turbo vehicle.

Will post tommorrow with codes and results.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make a boost leak tester, not only will you find the big leak you just made but youl be able to find all the tiny ones you dont notice but once fixed will make your day

lmcbee5

Reaction score
You blew a turbo hose. (probably the one coming from the turbo)

Thanks for the prompt reply Tony! I will investigate further when I get a chance today. Samco hoses seem to run around $308. Would you suggest these or just get factory replacements?

10 minutes and 2 dirty hands later... I have found the culprit. The hose has a 2" long tear on the throttle body side of intercooler. Looks like it may have been rubbing on the wheel well but i will find out more later when i pull it off. Got some Samcos on the way from http://www.boostcontroller.com I guess no need to make a leak tester since it comes with both hoses.

Last edited:

lmcbee5

Reaction score
Rigged to Run

Just want to share some pics of my blown hose. Threw some duct tape on it until tommorrow and it is definitely running alot better with the rigging i did.
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks again for the help guys! :D

lmcbee5

Reaction score
Samcos are in!

Waiting on Parts...

Finally here...!!! :D

I had to unmount the coolant reservoir so i could get to the clamp, but no big deal

These things look sweet when installed. No difference in performance from what i can tell, but hopefully they will last longer than the stock hoses.

I actually have a question about this... Was there at some point a support for this coolant line? When i first went in it was squeezed between an AC line and the intercooler. There is definitely wear on it from rubbing between the two. Can someone tell me how their hose is routed around this section so it is not flapping around?

Last edited:

lmcbee5

Reaction score
Had no idea that this was a potential problem. How do i resolve this? Is it better to just put a Kennedy pump in line with the filter? If you know thread on this issue please link it! :D

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sitting in a metal box with gallons of flammable liquid and and ignitions source is a "potential fire hazard" but most people get down the road without exploding. The same way most CRDs don't have a lift pump and still have the heater plugged in and have no problems.

JoBo

Reaction score
That little hose had a plastic that fastened it to the coolant line holding it in front of the radiator bleeder valve. They break easy and I have a cable tie on mine.