What is this Mystery Plug Under the Dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prionicone

Reaction score
TLDR: Found a plug under my dash. What is it? Pics below.

So I've gotten myself an '05 KJ EVIC off Ebay and I've found several various instructions for hooking it up... Haven't really gotten too far into it as wiring schematics are not my forte and I also want to hook it up as close to "as from the factory" as I can at home without buying a new wiring harness...

I was hoping that there would be a harness for it in the headliner already, but unfortunately it doesn't. My KJ is an '07 3.7l sport 4x4. It does have some upgrades from the factory though such as power mirrors, leather steering wheel, cruise control, Heavy Duty Cooling (4 radiators up front)... and I recently upgraded to heated power mirrors which worked without a hitch, so I was hopeful.

Anyways, the real question here is, what is this electrical connector to nothing under my dash? Anyone have any idea? Is yours connected to anything? Do you have this plug? It has 4 wires coming out of it. Forgot to write the colors down.

It's the gray plug in the middle to the left of the large bundle of wires.

You must be registered for see images attach

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my dash out four times, I too have an extra connector. No clue what it's for

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to post this, but here is the link to the install. Very easy. I did this myself also. I've added everything you can think of to my base sport, all limited trim and options except heated seats and sunroof. (Not cutting a hole in my roof, the headliner was already enough)
http://alucinari.net/jeep/kj/evic_install/

prionicone

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Thanks for the directions... I still have a slight lack of understanding as to how to hook this thing up. According to the instructions, you splice the wires into existing wires.

How is the EVIC from the factory installed? Is there a connector that the wires are attached to and the plug goes somewhere specific? If that's the case, that's what I'd like to do most rather than "find some random wire with power" that works for this specific use case.

At the end of the instructions it says, "If you are installing an overhead console from scratch, make sure you get the wiring harness connectors for both the console itself, and the fuse panel. If you do not have these parts, the installation will be extremely difficult."

I am installing this from scratch. Even the mount for the EVIC is not istalled in the jeep. The EVIC I bough did come with the mount though, so I need to install that as well. The EVIC also came with the wire plug with the 4 wires that I need to connect this thing up, but it did NOT come with the "fuse panel connector" mentioned at the end of the instructions.

What is this connector? Where could it be found?

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no connector for it the harness they mention is the pig tail from the evicc honestly your best bet is unscrew the obd-2 connector and splice it into that. The wires all go to the same place that the evic needs

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen some people mention that there is a connector for floor courtesy lights on most Liberty's.

A) I don't know if that's true
B) If it is, I don't know if that's it

Lotta help, ain't I? :happy175:

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen some people mention that there is a connector for floor courtesy lights on most Liberty's.

A) I don't know if that's true
B) If it is, I don't know if that's it

Lotta help, ain't I? :happy175:
It's way smaller than that. That's not it.

prionicone

Reaction score
So I've figured out a couple of things. I've figured out what everyone and all the directions have been saying all this time. :signs75: The wires splice into the various needed circuits for the EVIC on the factory harness... I can be dense at times I suppose, lol. I just never really looked at vehicle wiring or really any wiring other than house/home wiring before and thought splicing was the workaround rather than the factory style... So I was a bit perplexed about how wiring harnesses are actually built... I though everything has a plug/connector... haha, dumb.

ANYHOW... I'm going to answer my original question for myself and anyone else that pops into this thread that may also wonder what the mystery plug may be... Turns out it's a connector for the Radio Choke on the Infinity Premium Audio System.

Mopar Connection Repair Kit

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've figured out a couple of things. I've figured out what everyone and all the directions have been saying all this time. :signs75: The wires splice into the various needed circuits for the EVIC on the factory harness... I can be dense at times I suppose, lol. I just never really looked at vehicle wiring or really any wiring other than house/home wiring before and thought splicing was the workaround rather than the factory style... So I was a bit perplexed about how wiring harnesses are actually built... I though everything has a plug/connector... haha, dumb.

ANYHOW... I'm going to answer my original question for myself and anyone else that pops into this thread that may also wonder what the mystery plug may be... Turns out it's a connector for the Radio Choke on the Infinity Premium Audio System.

Mopar Connection Repair Kit

Huh, figures. Easiest to splice into the wires on the OBD2 connector just so you know. Do one at a time. Use sealing crimp connectors you crimp them then heat them up. Nothing will get in them. That's exactly how I did mine. I scratched my head for 45 minutes when I did the heater core because I didn't know what that was for!

Latest posts

Members online