What is this drain for? Passenger side under carpet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pkc.rip

Reaction score
had to pull passenger side carpet due to mildew smell from the carpet being soaked every time it rained. The water seems to be coming from this drain which ends at the rear passenger side under the carpet? I can’t for the life of me find anything or anyone else talking about this drain. This is an 04 with a sunroof. The floor only gets soaked when it rains. Anyones two cents is greatly appreciated.

P.S. the last picture is where the rubber drain plugs into, I removed it and took a picture

Attachments

• D78B912A-A169-4BDB-9493-A18CDDCD2FDE.jpeg
    D78B912A-A169-4BDB-9493-A18CDDCD2FDE.jpeg
    265.5 KB · Views: 72
  • D2F67B1A-CDC5-4CAB-9616-963458D8EB49.jpeg
    D2F67B1A-CDC5-4CAB-9616-963458D8EB49.jpeg
    402 KB · Views: 71
  • 789BE6EF-4657-46C0-8092-98F9334A154C.jpeg
    789BE6EF-4657-46C0-8092-98F9334A154C.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 70

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Have never seen any moisture in that area at all
are you sure it is coming from that area ?
I would almost bet since you have a sunroof drain for it is clogged and water is coming that and following the grooves back through

pkc.rip

Reaction score
Have never seen any moisture in that area at all
are you sure it is coming from that area ?
As positive as I can be, whenever it rains it always puddles up in the back near that rubber drain, then eventually sloshes up to the front passenger side

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Never considered that area a drain , but hopefully someone has another idea to help you

pkc.rip

Reaction score
Never considered that area a drain , but hopefully someone has another idea to help you
Just cleaned out the sunroof drain with pipe cleaners and compressed air. Dumped a bottle of water over it and it seems to be draining behind the front passenger tire like normal. It was pretty dirty in there, so we’ll see next time it rains. I’m not 100% sure that it is a drain, but I see lots of water in and around it so I assumed. Thank you for your help!

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Just cleaned out the sunroof drain with pipe cleaners and compressed air. Dumped a bottle of water over it and it seems to be draining behind the front passenger tire like normal. It was pretty dirty in there, so we’ll see next time it rains. I’m not 100% sure that it is a drain, but I see lots of water in and around it so I assumed. Thank you for your help!
That rubber strip just keeps the floor from being lumpy I bet. I don’t see a drain so much as just where the pan and the body come together.

I had mine apart to clean the pigsty filth off the carpet when I first bought it. Found a product called Odor Bully that works great. Not sure If you have a Menards near you, but it’s 12$ a gallon which is enough for the entire interior and seats.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those two square bits in the first picture are foam iirc. I used to get a puddle there in mine when raining too. I know what you mean about the smell, yuck! Any the foam had become very dry and I believe it was letting water come up from the bottom as front tire threw it there. I don't remember exactly how i fixed it, but I know silicone was involved. I also cleaned up around the intake for the cabin air filter around the same time, but it didn't look like water was getting in there. Been dry ever since.

07Lib195

Reaction score
I had the exact issue, except one of my holes was missing the foam and wide open. I tried to order what I thought was a proper plastic plug from the dealer but it was the wrong piece. I ended up trimming the piece to fit flush over the top and then using Seal-All to seal it into place. I covered the foam on the other hole with Seal-All as well and then went underneath, cleaned it up, and applied duct tape. That fixed my issue!

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
It’s a horrible design flaw putting the fresh air vent right next to a drain. One of my planned projects is to fix this problem and install a proper filter.

I haven’t had water issues yet, but I get tons of road dust.

Was out in the corn grid a while back and I got the entire interior dusted with limestone.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Marvelous, I'm allergic to all kinds of dust including Limestone..ahhh chew..;)
I wish we had replaceable vent filter, let me know what you come up with.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Marvelous, I'm allergic to all kinds of dust including Limestone..ahhh chew..;)
I wish we had replaceable vent filter, let me know what you come up with.
I’ll post the entire project in the future. If I did my homework right, I believe I can convert it over to either a Toyota or a Nissan cabin filter.

Techdad

Reaction score
Just a reminder about the sun roof. It had 4 drains. One in each corner of the sun roof pan. The front tubes run down the windshield pillars. The rear tubes run down the pillars (behind) the back doors. No matter which way Liberty leans, water has a way out of the pan. Be sure to check all 4. I think I saw someone on forum use weed eater line. I haven't done that yet but I plan on using it as a regular maintenance item to prevent clogs. This photos from a Liberty in the salvage yard. I am concerned if compressed air will blow a tube loose if one is clogged bad?

Attachments

• 20220416_113632.jpg
    20220416_113632.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220416_113628.jpg
    20220416_113628.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 22

Boueux

Reaction score
Just a reminder about the sun roof. It had 4 drains. One in each corner of the sun roof pan. The front tubes run down the windshield pillars. The rear tubes run down the pillars (behind) the back doors. No matter which way Liberty leans, water has a way out of the pan. Be sure to check all 4. I think I saw someone on forum use weed eater line. I haven't done that yet but I plan on using it as a regular maintenance item to prevent clogs. This photos from a Liberty in the salvage yard. I am concerned if compressed air will blow a tube loose if one is clogged bad?
After I found your description of the sunroof “ drainage system” in another comment here @Techdad, I was able to solve 90% of the issues with our new Liberty, thanks to you.

So others may have an idea of what they’re getting into, Ive posted a HowTo under KJ Sunroof Plumbing

Latest posts

Members online