What is the best oil/filter to use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lazychris2000

Reaction score
Since we're on the topic of oil filters, would there be any advantage/disadvantage to using a larger filter than OEM? As long as you find one that has the same thread pattern, and it would physically fit, what would happen if you used a filter like this one?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since we're on the topic of oil filters, would there be any advantage/disadvantage to using a larger filter than OEM? As long as you find one that has the same thread pattern, and it would physically fit, what would happen if you used a filter like this one?

It shouldn't hurt as long as it fits/seals and you add the appropriate amount of oil to compensate. I have a couple vehicles where the size of the filter differs quite a bit depending upon brand. Not sure how much extra room there is up there for a larger diameter or longer one (like you linked) in the KJ though.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some filters have an anti-drain back valve, some don't. Make sure your replacement choice and OE match.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some filters have an anti-drain back valve, some don't. Make sure your replacement choice and OE match.

Yeah, quality counts here big time! Just use a good quality filter. A smaller well designed filter may have way more filtering capacity and function or flow than a much larger filter.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score

A larger filter (exact same brand) means more filtering surface area. But unless you like to add dirt to your crankcase, I don't see the need for more filtering surface. Most filter brands I've used have a part number stamped onto the threaded base plate. You can go through the boxes and find a taller filter (same relative diameter) that uses the same numbered base and it will fit, just make sure you have enough clearance on the engine to get the filter on and off.

Last edited:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, quality counts here big time! Just use a good quality filter. A smaller well designed filter may have way more filtering capacity and function or flow than a much larger filter.

Yes, well, WTF does quality have to do with size(unless you're one a them barely blessed guys) ? One can easily change size/part # without changing brands. Most quality filter brands have charts you can access to look up particle filtration size, flow rates, about anything you'd ever want to compare. All within the same brand.

As the joke passed around in the Ladies restroom says; size does matter!
Bob

Last edited:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What would happen? Why what would happen is your totally stock engine would last approximately 315,998 miles before requiring replacement. That's at least 98 more miles than it would have lasted with good quality OE fitment filters!

Bob

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information, guys. Wasn't planning on doing it, was just curious what would happen
Wally-World was out of the PH3600 (Fram's OE replacement) yesterday so I used a PH8 that I stock up on for my 4.7 Dakota. It's fatter and taller, but the threads and seal match up. There's a little less wiggle room getting it in there, and it needs another half quart to fill, but it'll work in a pinch 'till the next change.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always stuck with the Mopar filter on this new engine. Ever since I seen a tear down of fram and all the other common filters, I haven't put anything on this new engine other than the Mopar filters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bob

Who is producing a spin on engine oil filter for these engines (or any other engine for that matter) without an anti-drain back valve?