What do people think on Synthetic Motor Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

musky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i also used the fram synthetic oil filter for 6 dollars more why not.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as it's rated for your OCI it should be fine. Believe it or not, Fram has really come around. Their Ultra filter is one of the best filters made and it can go 15k. The Tough Guard is nice too, 99% filter efficiency at 20 microns, silicone ADBV, 8000 mile rating. I'm running that one now and the KJ likes it. No more rattle when starting it, which I had with Purolators. Done with Purolator for now after the tearing reports.

Wix is good too. I think the black one (same as Napa Gold) is rated for 7500 miles. Wix also happens to make the Supertech brand for Walmart, same as the Napa Proselect. Good for a short OCI.

I haven't ran a Wix on the KJ yet, but I definitely feel better with a Fram TG on it than the Tearolator.

Some manufacturers are starting to use louvers in the center tubes and not holes. I think Fram and Wix are still using holes. Louvers are fine, if they are opened fully. Look inside the filter before buying it.

Good info HJ. I didn't know the Fram Ultra had improved.

I knew Wix was good and I have used the NAPA Gold..I have one Purolator left and now not sure If I will use it. (tearolator....LOL)

Now I have a bunch of Bosch oil filters.....I just changed the oil and used one.

Dave

rockdart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info HJ. I didn't know the Fram Ultra had improved.

I knew Wix was good and I have used the NAPA Gold..I have one Purolator left and now not sure If I will use it. (tearolator....LOL)

Now I have a bunch of Bosch oil filters.....I just changed the oil and used one.

Dave

Well, yeah - the equivalent of "buy 1 get 3 free" is a tough thing to turn down. I'm set for 2.5 years now.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just remember that what you see coming out and the end of the dipstick does not reflect what it looks like inside the engine.

Castrol syntec oil changed every 10k and fram oil filter,100k on the engine(and no the intake gaskets were not leaking).

You must be registered for see images attach

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just remember that what you see coming out and the end of the dipstick does not reflect what it looks like inside the engine.

Castrol syntec oil changed every 10k and fram oil filter,100k on the engine(and no the intake gaskets were not leaking).

You must be registered for see images attach

Is that for real? 10K oil changes? What car/engine?

Holy sludge......10K oil changes are not for me no matter what kind of oil/filter I am using....Holy crap.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that for real? 10K oil changes? What car/engine?

Holy sludge......10K oil changes are not for me no matter what kind of oil/filter I am using....Holy crap.

Dave
Yes that is real and I see the same every few weeks,mostly BMW,Audi,VW,and Mercedes that think they can do 15k OCI's when it's clearly stated in the manual 15 kilometers not miles.

That is a 3.1 V6 in a Chevy Lumina from a few years back.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

kage860

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, tons of good info over at bitog. One I use up my stock of wix filters, I plan on changing over to the fram ultras.

HerronScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My commute to work has been 100 miles daily for the past 30 years so I've been doing 10k OCI for quite some time. Mostly Interstate or local bypass on each end with 55-70mph. I had 327,000 miles and 12 years on my 2004 Mazda 6s (Ford 3.0l V6). My prior car was a 1987 Mazda 626GT (turbo 2.0l 4-cylinder) which had 350,000 miles on it and was still running well when I replaced it with the 6. Been using Mobile 1EP for most of the time once it became available and regular Mobile 1 before that. I was using Purolator PureOne oil filters but have been using Fram Ultra lately.

I tend to do shorter changes (5000-7500) with my wife's vehicles since her driving is mostly shorter distances but still use the Mobile 1EP as the cost is not that much more than the regular Mobile 1 at Walmart.

Scott

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fram Ultra XG series part #are great. Apparently there is one more that is good but why go second best. The rest of the orange cans of death can get dusty on the shelf. If i wanted a paper filter I'd buy a napa gold / wix. They are also great also but I wouldn't run a paper filter 12 months.

Most overwhelmingly rated filter on bobs and ram forum is the Royal Purple for all the usual reasons of syn media, silicone adv, beefy bypass etc.

I run synthetic due to being colder than 99% of this forum. If i lived in Florida, i'd be running conventional and throw it out every 3 K miles.

establish your operating requirements, pick a maintenance plan, then pick oil and filter that meets it.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been told for years not to switch from Dino to synthetic on an older engine or it may cause leaks and oil burning due to smaller molecules or something. I'm not sure I believe it. Anyone else heard this?

I run dyno (Castro gtx) because that's what's worked for me for all my vehicles. I do changes at 3000 miles. I've run Bosch on my Audi and mopar on the jeeps, the car gets delco. I'm thinking of switching to wix or gram ultra though. If I bought a new vehicle I'd definitely run synthetic though. I just kind of due the "if it ain't broke" theory on my engines.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That myth originated from synthetic cleaning up gunk back when dino sucked, would've leaked anyway on dino and now synthetic doesn't really have more detergent than a good dino oil.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been told for years not to switch from Dino to synthetic on an older engine or it may cause leaks and oil burning due to smaller molecules or something. I'm not sure I believe it. Anyone else heard this?

I run dyno (Castro gtx) because that's what's worked for me for all my vehicles. I do changes at 3000 miles. I've run Bosch on my Audi and mopar on the jeeps, the car gets delco. I'm thinking of switching to wix or gram ultra though. If I bought a new vehicle I'd definitely run synthetic though. I just kind of due the "if it ain't broke" theory on my engines.

Yeah, like HJ says, old myth and if your engine was going to leak it would leak no matter the oil. I have switched with no issues.

I had a bunch of different vehicles. I ran Castrol dino in vehicles for years with no issues. Used Fram filters too. Used many different oils and filters and never had an engine just blow up or sludge up. I think Your particular usage, ie, all highway or mostly stop and go driving, etc should determine your OCI and as long as you don't go crazy with extended intervals you should be ok. A couple of extra oil changges involved in a shorter OCI is way, way, way cheaper than the cost of a trashed engine to save a couple of oil changes.

Dave

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on the responses in this thread I just used mobile 1 ep and a k&n filter.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk