What do people think on Synthetic Motor Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ones with annual rebates I know of are mobil, pennzoil, quakerstate.
One should be able to get 5x 5quart bottles of oils at a good price a year.
15k miles is an annual average I believe.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Towards the end of the year you can get Napa syn for $2 a quart in store. It's very very very similar to Valvoline Synpower. Not identical and Synpower could probably go for a longer OCI, but 4-6k on the Napa stuff would be fine.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Towards the end of the year you can get Napa syn for $2 a quart in store. It's very very very similar to Valvoline Synpower. Not identical and Synpower could probably go for a longer OCI, but 4-6k on the Napa stuff would be fine.

I bought a case of synthetic at NAPA during that sale. I was going to go and get more but didn't. Just didn't make it back there. That was a good deal. $2.00 a quart for synthetic is real good. Their oil is good. I normally use Valvoline Synpower.

Dave

kage860

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the new Mobil 1 Annual Protection Oil advertisements? They advertise 1 year / 20,000 miles! It might be able to do it, but I'll let some guys on the bitog forum be the guinea pigs first.

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running royal purple high mileage and it says it can run 12K-15K or up to a year. Don't plan on running it that long, but I did run the regular royal purple for about 7K and it wasn't overly dirty when I drained it, but I have been doing regular synthetic oil changes at 5-6K for years now.

pgswimmer

Reaction score
From a Chemist's perspective, there is a clear advantage to using synthetic oil over conventional oil.

Conventional oil is manufactured using fractional distillation from mineral oils obtained from the ground. The oils in conventional oil are separated by boiling point and thus, you may get many different molecules of many shapes and sizes within the same quart of conventional oil. This leads to viscosity differences across the temperature range. Heavier oils will tend to settle in the engine and will lead to increased engine wear during startup (as compared to synthetic)

Synthetic oil is created (as the name implies) synthetically in a laboratory. The molecules are all the same size and shape and thus have all of the same physiochemical properties. In addition, synthetic oils can be created with molecules that change shape dynamically, maintaining a consistent viscosity for optimum lubrication whether the engine is cold during the wintertime, or running at full operating temperature.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Group III is just highly refined dino. Need a Group IV to be a real syn.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From a Chemist's perspective, there is a clear advantage to using synthetic oil over conventional oil.

Conventional oil is manufactured using fractional distillation from mineral oils obtained from the ground. The oils in conventional oil are separated by boiling point and thus, you may get many different molecules of many shapes and sizes within the same quart of conventional oil. This leads to viscosity differences across the temperature range. Heavier oils will tend to settle in the engine and will lead to increased engine wear during startup (as compared to synthetic)

Synthetic oil is created (as the name implies) synthetically in a laboratory. The molecules are all the same size and shape and thus have all of the same physiochemical properties. In addition, synthetic oils can be created with molecules that change shape dynamically, maintaining a consistent viscosity for optimum lubrication whether the engine is cold during the wintertime, or running at full operating temperature.
Not all true.

Group III is just highly refined dino. Need a Group IV to be a real syn.

Correct.

90% of all the "synthetic" oils you see are not actually synthetic at all.You can count on 1 hand the number of true synthetic oils on the market in the US.

kage860

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pennzoil platinum is a synthetic group 3 made from natural gas. I've been using it based on good reviews plus their consistant $2/quart rebates.

For oil walmart.com is the place to go, free shipping with a $50 order. Most jugs are in the $20-25 range.

Filters I usually get from rockauto.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
walmart dropped free 2Day shipping for purchase of $35 and above to compete w/ Amazon.

Don't forget to use something like ebates with online orders.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is one of those discussions where it's obvious that most are set in their ways and nothing you say will change their mind. So, I make no excuses and I don't have any meaningful/less statistics.

I used regular Mobil 1 in my vehicles for work and play for more years than I can remember - until I got my KJ. Since the first oil change, just a few days after I bought it, I have been using Mobil 1 Extended Performance (true synthetic) 5w30. I change the oil filter every time I change the oil, every 3,500-4,000 miles. I change the air filter when it is a little dirty.

It's not chap insurance because it's definitely not cheap. It's just how I show my KJ some respect.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What oil filters do you guys suggest for the kj and are certain ones better for synthetic or does that not matter?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is one of those discussions where it's obvious that most are set in their ways and nothing you say will change their mind. So, I make no excuses and I don't have any meaningful/less statistics.

I used regular Mobil 1 in my vehicles for work and play for more years than I can remember - until I got my KJ. Since the first oil change, just a few days after I bought it, I have been using Mobil 1 Extended Performance (true synthetic) 5w30. I change the oil filter every time I change the oil, every 3,500-4,000 miles. I change the air filter when it is a little dirty.

It's not chap insurance because it's definitely not cheap. It's just how I show my KJ some respect.

Just a "general" synthetic thread on what everybody thinks about syn oil. No mind changing intended, just thoughts and info.

What oil filters do you guys suggest for the kj and are certain ones better for synthetic or does that not matter?

You should start a seperate oil filter question thread to get better responses and information.

Dave

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally do very low mileage in a year, around 10,000 km or 6300 miles.
I like to change the oil every 5000 km (just a preference) but then that means only every 6 months... because of that I feel the full synthetic better protects me. Its more of a feeling than anything... apparently time factors in somehow.

* My wife drives a Toyota Corolla. When changing my brakes the other day on the Jeep, I borrowed her car to go buy some parts and noticed the oil change sticker showing 12,000 km overdue! I gave her a little attitude and she has an appointment for an oil change on Tuesday (along with a few other things). She uses regular oil, oil is stamped with 5000 km generally and Toyota says 8000 km between changes... she's at 17000 km on the same oil.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

As long as it's rated for your OCI it should be fine. Believe it or not, Fram has really come around. Their Ultra filter is one of the best filters made and it can go 15k. The Tough Guard is nice too, 99% filter efficiency at 20 microns, silicone ADBV, 8000 mile rating. I'm running that one now and the KJ likes it. No more rattle when starting it, which I had with Purolators. Done with Purolator for now after the tearing reports.

Wix is good too. I think the black one (same as Napa Gold) is rated for 7500 miles. Wix also happens to make the Supertech brand for Walmart, same as the Napa Proselect. Good for a short OCI.

I haven't ran a Wix on the KJ yet, but I definitely feel better with a Fram TG on it than the Tearolator.

Some manufacturers are starting to use louvers in the center tubes and not holes. I think Fram and Wix are still using holes. Louvers are fine, if they are opened fully. Look inside the filter before buying it.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man, I need add general internal inspection of oil filters to my oil changing protocol.

I'm just using purolator classic at the moment until my stock is dry then maybe I'll switch to something better.