What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you chaps talking about the unit underneath the Jeep just forward of the gas tank?

(Yeah, I am still trying to run down the source of my "small evap leak" as well...)

Dumb Question Time*, but could a failing muffler cause this? Mine is letting me know that its muffling days are dwindling.

*Just like 5:00, it's always Dumb Question Time somewhere - and here I am again!

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you chaps talking about the unit underneath the Jeep just forward of the gas tank?

(Yeah, I am still trying to run down the source of my "small evap leak" as well...)

Dumb Question Time*, but could a failing muffler cause this? Mine is letting me know that its muffling days are dwindling.

*Just like 5:00, it's always Dumb Question Time somewhere - and here I am again!
No, that other bit up in the engine compartment by the battery.

Reaction score
Following...
Have been battling the same needle -in-the-haystack search. Small evap leak code comes and goes. No shop has been able to definitely tell me what the problem is. Smoke test was a waste of $$ as it didn't show anything. Have replaced 3 gas caps, vacuum lines under the hood, and just recently replaced charcoal canister (recommended by who I think was a somewhat reputable mechanic). The fuel filler burping and then not shutting off and spilling fuel everywhere is a problem at every pump and the guy said it can mess up the canister if the tank gets overfilled. He was honest and said it was just a guess since I had already tried so many other fixes....

Rough

Reaction score
Following...
Have been battling the same needle -in-the-haystack search. Small evap leak code comes and goes. No shop has been able to definitely tell me what the problem is. Smoke test was a waste of $$ as it didn't show anything. Have replaced 3 gas caps, vacuum lines under the hood, and just recently replaced charcoal canister (recommended by who I think was a somewhat reputable mechanic). The fuel filler burping and then not shutting off and spilling fuel everywhere is a problem at every pump and the guy said it can mess up the canister if the tank gets overfilled. He was honest and said it was just a guess since I had already tried so many other fixes....
Been a few years, had this issue with an 07 and it ended up being the vacuum leak detection pump which I believe is used to self test the system. If you're clearing the code and it reappears after a few days or so it may be because it doesn't set a new code until after several failed tests over a period of a few days. https://.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8768364&cc=1433762&pt=12040&jsn=403

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
Finally, found the time, energy & enthusiasm to do something, not a lot but after 2 weekends of zilch, at least I've broken the pattern.

Wanted to move it to improve access but couldn't be bothered to manoeuvre the XJ into place to jump it again so ran the battery charger out to it, but a few hours later still wouldn't start so took battery out, hooked it up, so come Friday when I return only have to turn it on, so should've had at least 12 hours by time I'm ready to play again next Saturday.

Whilst in that area, finally got the cooling system bleed screw loose, lubed & re-tightened. No problems in that dept. but didn't want to have a problem when the time inevitably comes (it's been steeped in penetrant for must be a month now).

Extracted the remains of the right front ABS sensor, thanks to very recent D&Einthegarage U-tube video. Not as easy as that suggested but at least I started with an idea - & it did work, ultimately. That means the caliper, pads, bracket & rotor are off on that side, so some small progress has been made towards replacing the diff. At this rate, it's going to be a long, slow job - but, at least I've made a start (at last).

Oh, & while sitting on the kerb, just behind front hub, I noticed ghosting where the "Cherokee" script had been on the front doors, suits me, I've never been able to think of it as a Cherokee - but must try to get rid of that ghost outline. Funny, I'd noticed no "Jeep" on the back door but not this, but then, I've never paid much attention to the exterior &, apart from pressure washing it once, I've always has it cleaned.

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody got some factory skids they dont want? Transmission and transfer wanted ...if the price is right I'd cover shipping ,lemme know

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody got some factory skids they dont want? Transmission and transfer wanted ...if the price is right I'd cover shipping ,lemme know
justforjeeps.com still has some transfer plates. I’m afraid the transmission plate is everyone’s white whale at this point.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ Yes, there is your transfer case skid.

Your transmission skid is on Craigslist here:

See if they will ship. The price is right at $30. I believe it is the same part number for 05-07 KJ and 08-12 KK. If you have an 02-04 it may be close enough to modify (you could have different transmission crossmember attachment points — Tommudd please confirm).

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On Friday after work, we loaded up the jeep for another camping trip. I think we finally have a good load-out figured out. Unfortunately, disrespectfully noisy neighboring campers and a horde of very audacious raccoons had us packing up first thing Saturday morning.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On Friday after work, we loaded up the jeep for another camping trip. I think we finally have a good load-out figured out. Unfortunately, disrespectfully noisy neighboring campers and a horde of very audacious raccoons had us packing up first thing Saturday morning.
Ain't y'all got holes out there for problems like that? :D

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ Yes, there is your transfer case skid.

Your transmission skid is on Craigslist here:

See if they will ship. The price is right at $30. I believe it is the same part number for 05-07 KJ and 08-12 KK. If you have an 02-04 it may be close enough to modify (you could have different transmission crossmember attachment points — Tommudd please confirm).
Yeah the mount points will be a bit different but nothing that cant be nodded, thanks by the way

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Following...
Did the new canister fix the fuel burp? There was a post on here by someone who indicated he cleared the lines to the canister using compressed air and it fixed his fuel burp. I would love to fix that issue...

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Checked the oil level and tire pressure. 103,000 miles (61,000 of them mine) and still have never had to add a drop of oil between changes.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
The ‘unit’ is the EVAP solenoid, yes? My ‘gas cap’ issue was a hole worn in the bottom of the tubing near said item.
Yep. In my case the hoses like to work loose. Second time it’s happened…if anything it’s a handy reminder to inspect under the hood. Lol

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Did the new canister fix the fuel burp? There was a post on here by someone who indicated he cleared the lines to the canister using compressed air and it fixed his fuel burp. I would love to fix that issue...
Never did change the canister. The burp started in winter and ended when it got hot out. I’m guessing the was water that froze and then finally evaporated in the system.

Reaction score
Been a few years, had this issue with an 07 and it ended up being the vacuum leak detection pump which I believe is used to self test the system. If you're clearing the code and it reappears after a few days or so it may be because it doesn't set a new code until after several failed tests over a period of a few days. https://.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8768364&cc=1433762&pt=12040&jsn=403
Yes, this!
Replaced that pump about 25,000 miles ago (2020) because of the mystery evap code situation and it solved it for about one year. Then the code started popping up again last fall. The original pump lasted 255,000 miles.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*sigh*
If it's got
You must be registered for see images attach

or

it's gonna give you trouble.

Jeep just broke the "Clutch Pedal Linkage Bushing".

Amazon has it for $4.32, but I need it now as it keeps slipping off the pedal, making it dangerous to drive the jeep.
Ordered 3 for pickup from Napa today. $5.83/ea. One gets installed, one gets tossed in the glove box, 3rd goes in the parts storage bins.
I'll put the new on on with a little wheel bearing grease. hopefully that'll keep the damn thing from getting rubbed through, at least as fast as this one did. might be why they changed the eyelet from cast/pot metal to plastic, but the plastic eyelet likes to shear off.

Reactions: JRB

Rasfetch

Reaction score
I'm looking at an '05 Jeep Liberty today. Everything looks to be well maintained, and it had the transmission replaced about 10k miles ago. New alternator, AC compressor, power steering pump and a ton of maintenance records from the last couple of years. I'm having a mechanic take a look at it this afternoon, and if every checks out, then I'll buy it. It'll probably need new tires and maybe some suspension work since I think it still has the stock suspension.

Latest posts

Members online