What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Emptied my pcv oil catch can, and also did some work on my cold air and custom ram air intake. As a side note my cold air intake did not require modification to the stock air box.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

"finished" the ballast box.
could use another coat of paint, but for now it'll work.
1/2" plywood box, left over house paint, 24 24# pavers (576# total), and a triple layer of left over 1/2" plywood underneath to lift it enough to clear. It's not perfect, and there's a few things I'd have done differently, but for the time being it'll work and not obliterate any ability to carry things back there if needed. under $100 total in materials.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yummy! ..Ya I would like to "Pig Out" and have 4 of them! :gr_grin:
However..with a few beers later....I can almost guarantee ignition!
55260[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

:flamingdevil:

Attachments

• Have%20Ignition.gif
    Have%20Ignition.gif
    39.6 KB · Views: 0

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed out my serpentine belt and tried to change the tensioner pulley. The bolt in the tensioner pulley seems to have seized in the block. Any help in trying to get the bolt out would be great. Also changed out the passenger brake light. Also thinking of different designs for a fabricated safari rack. Going to start drafting it up here soon.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I changed out my serpentine belt and tried to change the tensioner pulley. The bolt in the tensioner pulley seems to have seized in the block. Any help in trying to get the bolt out would be great. Also changed out the passenger brake light. Also thinking of different designs for a fabricated safari rack. Going to start drafting it up here soon.
Ya the Tensioner bolt 13mm can be in there tight. At bolt use some penetrating spray. Did you buy the Gates Assembly 39120 use the new bolt if so.
Remove the belt first by ..15mm..
55262[/ATTACH]"]

I have a long handle ratchet, with 13mm makes job easy, you may need a breaker bar to assist.
This photo I just took, obviously the belt would be off normally at this point..
55264[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• TensionerReplace.jpg
    TensionerReplace.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Jeep%20Tensioner%20Ratchet.jpg
    Jeep%20Tensioner%20Ratchet.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 0

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
....The bolt in the tensioner pulley seems to have seized in the block...
I've been trying to get mine out for months. Oddly enough, exactly one year ago I had to change my water pump and thermostat and it came right out. This was good because it was 7F out at the time. I guess maybe I should try again the next time we get bitter cold weather here.

If you figure something out I am all ears. :)

Grannykimmer

Reaction score
It's what I'm "going" to do to my Liberty.....hopefully. Bought a plug and play remote starter for her. Having an issue on how to take the panel off that's below the steering wheel. I read a post on here that says you grip it right below the steering wheel and pull on it. It'll fold down. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I certainly don't want to break anything. Thnx

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...Having an issue on how to take the panel off that's below the steering wheel. I read a post on here that says you grip it right below the steering wheel and pull on it. It'll fold down. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I certainly don't want to break anything. Thnx

Just grab on both sides and pull hard. First time you do it you will think you're going to ruin it. You won't. ;)

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
reminding me that I want a remote start on my jeep too. just a little more complicated since it's a stick.

jharrisliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya the Tensioner bolt 13mm can be in there tight. At bolt use some penetrating spray. Did you buy the Gates Assembly 39120 use the new bolt if so.
Remove the belt first by ..15mm..
55272[/ATTACH]"]

I have a long handle ratchet, with 13mm makes job easy, you may need a breaker bar to assist.
This photo I just took, obviously the belt would be off normally at this point..
55274[/ATTACH]"]

Yes I got the gates assembly and a new gates belt as well.

I've been trying to get mine out for months. Oddly enough, exactly one year ago I had to change my water pump and thermostat and it came right out. This was good because it was 7F out at the time. I guess maybe I should try again the next time we get bitter cold weather here.

I think that due to the fact that I was trying do get the bolt out and the engine was still warm might have been the problem.

Going to get some pb blast or something when I try to do this again.

Attachments

• TensionerReplace.jpg
    TensionerReplace.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Jeep%20Tensioner%20Ratchet.jpg
    Jeep%20Tensioner%20Ratchet.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 0

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had a brand new tensioner - and brand new bolt - sitting here for months. My ten minute job has taken a little longer than expected... :mexsmoke:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you figure something out I am all ears. :)

Geez, you're still working on that thing. I'd have snapped it off by now out of sheer frustration. Did you use anti-seize when you had it out last time? Did you torque it correctly? Guess that doesn't matter much now. Is it rounded off?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Geez, you're still working on that thing. I'd have snapped it off by now out of sheer frustration.
If by working on it you mean "every couple of weeks I remind myself that I really ought to get that over and done with", then yeah. :icon_lol:

(I have gone back at it a time or two. See below.)

Did you use anti-seize when you had it out last time? Did you torque it correctly? Guess that doesn't matter much now. Is it rounded off?
No anti-seize, torqued correctly, no it doesn't, and yes, sort of. The "rounded off" part is not that bad (yet), but on the occasions where I have gone back and tried getting it loose I was afraid I would end up really messing it up and (probably wisely) chickened out after a few heaves on the breaker bar.

I even bought a set of bolt removers, which came in four sizes:

1) Way too small
2) Just a little bit too small
3) Just a little bit too big
4) Honkin' Ginormous

The main obstacle is that the bolt head is so shallow and there is no good way to get at the thing. I'm sure I could get it by pounding the "Just a little bit too small" bolt remover onto it, but I'd have to take the radiator out to have enough room to swing my 5 lb. hammer. If I could get a really good soaking of penetrating oil in there it would help, but short of standing the Jeep up on its rear bumper for a day or two I'm not having much luck with that, either. :emotions34:

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Cut the bolt head off, Kroil the bolt, tiny torch the bolt, vise grips it out.

Ugly thoughts but tidier than explosives.