What CHEAP tires for Liberty 2003?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now, you can get (4) 245/76-16 P-series Cooper AT3's from discounttiredirect.com for $450 shipped. On top of that, they'll give you an $80 Visa pre-paid card. Discount Tire in my area charges $20/wheel for mounting/balancing, so $80 for 5.

You'd basically be getting 4 great tires (allegedly, I have never run them) for $450. Not sure on the pricing difference with smaller sizes.

jankerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes and no
I have done everything from being a tire jockey in a tire shop back when I was 17-18 ( 1971-72) up to selling/managing and owning tire stores so yes there are a few times when a cheaper brand may work OK for the customer.
But a quality tire will get you more mileage, and overall be a much better buy than a cheaper made/lower cost/ price tire. If you are only going to own a vehicle for a year or less then sure go with a cheaper one possibly but if keeping it then go with a better quality tire.
The Duratracs I have on now are at almost 61000 miles and still have over 8/32s of tread. NOW for example I tried a set of Kumho KL78ss back a few years ago and after about 16,000 miles they were over half way worn out, so off they came and I sold them. They wouldn't of made it half the miles that these have so far.
Now currently the Kumhos are roughly 120 per tire Xs 4 = 480.00
Now with my driving I calculate roughly that I would need to buy 2 sets at least to go 60,000 miles so thats 960 bucks for 8 tires.
Duratracs are 184 per tire currently so 736 bucks. My "old school math thinking" says thats 224 bucks in my pocket over 60,000 plus miles
Granted your mileage may vary but overall I'll go with a better tire/longer life / no worries etc

I think the old saying that you get what you pay for is true with tires.

Lets face it, buying tires just plain *****, good ones are expensive and nobody likes to drop a grand on tires..

But the thing is if one is going to spend the money they might as well put good ones on so they will last longer than 30,000 miles or less like the cheap ones.

Better to buy one set that will last 60,000 miles or more than to buy 2 or 3 sets to get that 60,000+ miles.

One has to choose a tire based on what they really NEED for the type of driving they really do. Then go with the best quality option they can afford.

I have bought a lot of tires over the years personally and have found cheap is just cheap, but it will cost more in the long run...

Last edited:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have bought a lot of tires over the years personally and have found cheap is just cheap, but it will cost more in the long run...

Exactly why I took the cheap chinese crap tires, despite 90% tread remaining, and put on Yokohama Geolandars. The difference is amazing...to both my wallet and the feel of the Jeep on blacktop, dirt and stones.

jankerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly why I took the cheap chinese crap tires, despite 90% tread remaining, and put on Yokohama Geolandars. The difference is amazing...to both my wallet and the feel of the Jeep on blacktop, dirt and stones.

Running Michelin LTX M/S 2 on my 06 Liberty and BFG Long Trail TA Tours on my 05 Ram 1500.

Gotta love good tires, and they will last. :D

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have Firestone Destination LE on my AWD Astro. Good tires are a good thing.

Cheap tires are dangerous...and get expensive.

jankerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have Firestone Destination LE on my AWD Astro. Good tires are a good thing.

Cheap tires are dangerous...and get expensive.

OH I know.

Leaned that the hard way years ago.....

I pretty much buy the higher tier tires these days, got a lot smarter over the years.

karljp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Destination AT's are really good highway tires with decent offroad capability. I got around 40k miles out of them

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 16" tires can be so much cheaper or you can spend a little more per tire and get some really nice ones. We have a local dealer called "Peerless" that has "no name" Cordovan Trail Guide APs for $94 each. I have "Cordovans" on mine - only I spent about $30 more per tire and got 8 (6?) ply LTs instead of 4 ply passenger and have a bit more agressive tread. It makes it rid a bit rougher but they are much better at resisting punctures.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always run bfg at's always had good luck they usually dry rot before I can wear them out
BFG's are more dangerous then the cheapest china made tire.Almost every single Michelin tire I've seen regardless of age is dry rioting or cracking,not safe at all since they use less rubber to make the tires lighter for better mpg's.

Scottybones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got Hankook Dynapro AT/Ms for 130 a pop, free shipping from discounttiredirect. Additionally, Cooper Discoverer AT/3 were 109 when I was looking. They're getting good reviews too!

Tire Details - Discount Tire Direct

+1 with discounttire. Beat anyone due to the free shipping. You can do a price match with townfair online and they will take off a few dollars per tire and they charge around $30 a tire for mounting an balancing with a free front wheel alignment thrown in. Look and look, but this will be pretty much the best way to go. Don't buy them straight from townfair or you will be sorry. You have to do the internet price match.
Right now they have a rebate for Hankook Dynas that put them at just over $400 for the set!

Last edited:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trading it in at 100,000 :jawdrop::jawdrop:
Mine are never broke in fully until way after that
So let me know, err wait your's isn't the right color, never mind :hidesbehindsofa:

Hey! What's wrong with silver?!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Cheap tires generally will not perform well for handling, traction & in side wall impacts due to the sidewalls being thin, or flimsy like jello.
In 3 days here, if you do not have an M+S or snowflake rating you can not travel most highways here.
57346[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Link: What Does M+S Mean? | DriveSmartBC
I use GY silent armors with kevlar & are fairly hard wearing as well. Thick sidewalls, handle good, Snowflake rated.
Worn tire treads do not perform like a new fresh deep tire tread in winter.
The new tires by GoodYear are called:
Goodyear Wrangle All-Terrain Adventure With Kevlar link:Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure With Kevlar® Tires | Goodyear Tires Canada
There are many choices, but cheap tires on a heavy KJ is a bad idea.

Attachments

• TIRES%20RATING.jpg
    TIRES%20RATING.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1

benjfrance33

Reaction score
I've 4 BRIDGESTONE D694 A-T 235/70R16 on my 2006 KJ CRD since 43500 miles.
I paid the four tires 630 dollars in 2012.

Scottybones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 with discounttire. Beat anyone due to the free shipping. You can do a price match with townfair online and they will take off a few dollars per tire and they charge around $30 a tire for mounting an balancing with a free front wheel alignment thrown in. Look and look, but this will be pretty much the best way to go. Don't buy them straight from townfair or you will be sorry. You have to do the internet price match.
Right now they have a rebate for Hankook Dynas that put them at just over $400 for the set!

Ordered the Pathfinders S A/T 245/70/16 thru Townfair online and they are $471.60 mounted and balanced. I think I may still have to pay tax, but that would be it.

WyldWolf777

Reaction score
I need to buy tires to pass inspection. I'm wondering if you guys can give me some suggestions on cheap AT tires? The quotes I've received from tire places have been $800 for 4. That's just crazy! Any help is appreciated. thx
Wolf
What about a used tire shop? In a bind I have found some great deals on take offs a couple times.