What CHEAP tires for Liberty 2003?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WolfSoul

Reaction score
I need to buy tires to pass inspection. I'm wondering if you guys can give me some suggestions on cheap AT tires? The quotes I've received from tire places have been $800 for 4. That's just crazy! Any help is appreciated. thx
Wolf

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got 4 Yokohama A/T-S 235s shipped to me for a little over $500 from tirerack.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Like anything you get what you pay for.
Want cheap tires then shop around on the internet and then locally, see if they will price match. Most all will. When I bought my Duratracs I had 3 online estimates, shopped 4 local tire dealerships. One shop matched the online price, plus installed mounted and balanced them for free. ( Saturday afternoon end of the month crunch time )
Something else to think about buying cheap tires etc is if you travel any at all will you be able to get those tires anywhere?? Another reason I went name brand, I know I can walk in anywhere and get the tires I want within an hours time. Plus with over 60,000 miles on them and still plenty of tread they have paid for themselves

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to buy tires to pass inspection. I'm wondering if you guys can give me some suggestions on cheap AT tires? The quotes I've received from tire places have been $800 for 4. That's just crazy! Any help is appreciated. thx
Wolf
Good tires cost $$$,tire size plays a huge role also.If you have 17"+ rims the tire costs go up big time.Most don't consider mounting/balancing labor,taxes,tire waste fees,and then if you want road hazard or not which can add alot to the final price of tires.

Don't fell bad I drop at least $1000+ each time I need tires but I knew that before modifying to run 35" tires.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good tires cost $$$,tire size plays a huge role also.If you have 17"+ rims the tire costs go up big time.Most don't consider mounting/balancing labor,taxes,tire waste fees,and then if you want road hazard or not which can add alot to the final price of tires.

Don't fell bad I drop at least $1000+ each time I need tires but I knew that before modifying to run 35" tires.

While I agree with that completely, I also think there are times where you can get much more bang for your buck.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
While I agree with that completely, I also think there are times where you can get much more bang for your buck.
Yes and no
I have done everything from being a tire jockey in a tire shop back when I was 17-18 ( 1971-72) up to selling/managing and owning tire stores so yes there are a few times when a cheaper brand may work OK for the customer.
But a quality tire will get you more mileage, and overall be a much better buy than a cheaper made/lower cost/ price tire. If you are only going to own a vehicle for a year or less then sure go with a cheaper one possibly but if keeping it then go with a better quality tire.
The Duratracs I have on now are at almost 61000 miles and still have over 8/32s of tread. NOW for example I tried a set of Kumho KL78ss back a few years ago and after about 16,000 miles they were over half way worn out, so off they came and I sold them. They wouldn't of made it half the miles that these have so far.
Now currently the Kumhos are roughly 120 per tire Xs 4 = 480.00
Now with my driving I calculate roughly that I would need to buy 2 sets at least to go 60,000 miles so thats 960 bucks for 8 tires.
Duratracs are 184 per tire currently so 736 bucks. My "old school math thinking" says thats 224 bucks in my pocket over 60,000 plus miles
Granted your mileage may vary but overall I'll go with a better tire/longer life / no worries etc

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes and no
I have done everything from being a tire jockey in a tire shop back when I was 17-18 ( 1971-72) up to selling/managing and owning tire stores so yes there are a few times when a cheaper brand may work OK for the customer.
But a quality tire will get you more mileage, and overall be a much better buy than a cheaper made/lower cost/ price tire. If you are only going to own a vehicle for a year or less then sure go with a cheaper one possibly but if keeping it then go with a better quality tire.
The Duratracs I have on now are at almost 61000 miles and still have over 8/32s of tread. NOW for example I tried a set of Kumho KL78ss back a few years ago and after about 16,000 miles they were over half way worn out, so off they came and I sold them. They wouldn't of made it half the miles that these have so far.
Now currently the Kumhos are roughly 120 per tire Xs 4 = 480.00
Now with my driving I calculate roughly that I would need to buy 2 sets at least to go 60,000 miles so thats 960 bucks for 8 tires.
Duratracs are 184 per tire currently so 736 bucks. My "old school math thinking" says thats 224 bucks in my pocket over 60,000 plus miles
Granted your mileage may vary but overall I'll go with a better tire/longer life / no worries etc

I'd say my best example is this: the SR-As that I had bought when my Jeep was new and I didn't know better were 109 each and we all know how AWFUL those things are. When I was tire shopping, Cooper discoverer AT3s were 109 each, with a much higher tread warranty and much more praise. However, I went with the Hankooks I have now because I do believe you get what you pay for. If I had the cash, I would have went with Duratracs because they are so highly recommended. But I didn't, and therefore couldn't.

The Hankooks have gone about 15-20k miles (I'd have to look back at exactly when I put them on) and show no wear thus far. They handle all conditions very well too. So I'd say, I got a very good tire for what I paid for them ($130 each).

So yes, I completely agree that the more expensive Duratracs are likely much better. But (and I hate to say it) sometimes you have to settle with "good enough" to get you through due to lack of funds (after all, if I get 60k out of the Hankooks, I would be very very pleased, and that would put me up in the mid 100k miles, where I would likely be looking to trade it in.)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Trading it in at 100,000 :jawdrop::jawdrop:
Mine are never broke in fully until way after that
So let me know, err wait your's isn't the right color, never mind :hidesbehindsofa:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trading it in at 100,000 :jawdrop::jawdrop:
Mine are never broke in fully until way after that
So let me know, err wait your's isn't the right color, never mind :hidesbehindsofa:

Mid 100ks. :p I'm thinking 150k or so. And if you're willing to pick her up... :emotions133:

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered treadwrights that were on sale for $79 each. Now I have to add to that $26 a tire to ship to the shipping company in fl, another $100 to get it on the ship, and whatever they decide to charge me for customs… so I am definitely not willing to go any higher. But here a decent tire will be at least $150 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got my Liberty, it had reasonably new Neptune Experience 235s on it. Haven't a clue about them, but I think they're made in China. Less than 15,000 miles on them, nothing wrong with them (even tread wear, no plugs, no dry-rot, etc).

Put a set of Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 235s on it instead and gave the Neptunes to the BIL for his '03 Libby with bald tires.

Again, nothing wrong with them, but they're really cheap and didn't even have good wet traction. I don't want to know about snow…you do get what you pay for.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you can but more often then not the "best bang for your buck" is far from the cheapest when you look at the whole picture just not the up-front cost.

I can tell you this,a cheap tire is just that,cheap.I push my Jeep hard so brakes and tires are not a thing I cheap out on.I don't run the most expensive tires but good quaility tires that have a proven track record,and no I do not read consumer reports or the like websites as they base there reviews on how much $$$ the companies give them.You can find deals also and of course if you happen to work for a tire company you can get some real good deals:smoke2:.I got my Destination MT's(315/75R16's) for $171 each out the door,mounted/balanced,and road hazard when the actual retail of that tires is over $270 each(best price at TireRack) before mounting/balancing and road hazard added which makes each tire closer to $380 each.Granted I had to buy 16" wheels also.I now save my MT/R K's(35x12.50x15's) for wheeling but they only ran me $200 each or $210 each after mounting/balancing.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
IF they lasted a while maybe OK
But they don't , too many go bad
They're not checking casing good enough, too many getting through that should not be capped in the first place
Now this new process of covering the sidewalls is only putting a skirt on a pig
may look good but its still a pig

But I do like my bacon

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IF they lasted a while maybe OK
But they don't , too many go bad
They're not checking casing good enough, too many getting through that should not be capped in the first place
Now this new process of covering the sidewalls is only putting a skirt on a pig
may look good but its still a pig

But I do like my bacon
Yep.

If you get any treadwrights with Bridgsstone or Firestone casings that is a combo for failure.I asked the CEO of Bridgestone/Firestone about that and he stated the passenger/LT lines can not be safetly re-capped,okay his translater stated that I couldn't understand japenese.

Latest posts

Members online