Went and looked at a 200r Renegade...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You all are getting ripped.I mean who pay's anywhere close to MSRP these day's anyway?

I drove off the dealership lot with my '02 Limited(3 miles on her) in February of 2002 for $17,000 even,MSRP was $25,500.They gave me $18,000 for my '01 Grand I traded in which was $1(and some change) more then my payoff for that loan.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Tj- I totally agree with you. Ripped is the understatement.
There was some sort of inquiry going on here as to why the auto makers were charging Canadians 25 + percent more than our counter parts south of the border. I think we all know the answer to that one...more $ paid = more to makers and the tax man. Anything over $40k we also pay a luxury tax I think thats $4k extra.
Their excuses were numerous, smaller population/sales base, higher costs, dealership costs on and on....
When our dollar was above par, everyone was heading south of the border to buy their new cars/trucks and bring em back here. No one was buying in Canada, and it made the dealers here freak out. They did reduce the "Canadian Premium" but even today we remain at an imbalance. It's not just cars it's everything here, Insurance Liberty With Collision $1700 per year w/ (safe driver discount) smoke's $10 a pack, 24 beer $40? Gas $5+ a gallon, Milk more expensive than gas, 1 Gal $6. on and on...
When we buy a new car we pay federal and GST (goods service tax) total I think 13 percent. SO the new car already had the tax paid on it. SO when we buy a used car that the tax was paid on, we pay again..yup another 13 percent. What happens in the US when you buy a used car? What is your tax rate?

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happens in the US when you buy a used car? What is your tax rate?
Varies state to state.

I know that in SD if you buy a used vehicle you pay for the title transfer and registration,about $35-$50.If the vehicle was bought for more then $2000 or is less then 12 years old you pay sales tax which is 3% in SD for vehicles,less then $2000 or older than 12 years old there is no tax.Also you only pay sales tax after the trade in value has been subtracted from it,if you traded in a vehicle.In CO we have to pay property tax on our vehicles every year and they straight up increased it like $50 last year:mad:.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
That's why they call B.C. (British Columbia) "Bring Cash!"

That's how it is up here in the "Great White North"
The exact same product in the U.S. of A. retails for usually double here in Canada Eh!

But what I don't understand about people in general,
a lot of people will buy a half of litre of bottled drinking water for $1.00 (= to $9.02 for a "Canadian" Gallon and $7.57 per U.S. Gallon!)
But they whine and complain about the price of gasoline kopkrab.gif confused2.gif screwy.gif

Go figure!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Another example in regards to KJ prices.

Here is another example of what KJ's sell for.
http://burnaby.repo.com/details/36293
This one a 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport 4WD with no options.
That and the fact that the rear gate doesn't open!
Other than that, it is super clean inside and out.
47455 km / 29487 miles.
But does include chrome wheel covers.:rolleyes:
It can be yours for the princely sum of...
Repo.com Value: $12,320.00 CAD
Estimated Market Value: $16,800.00 CAD

Wild Eh?

Talk about over priced!

Cheers
Ry'

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online