Welding KJ bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barryh

Reaction score
Managed to hit a kangaroo with my KJ Liberty and pulled a hole about 3/4'' with a crack about 3'' long in the bumper. I have ordered a plastic welding heat gun from e-bay and I will have a go at welding the crack. Does anyone know the type of plastic used in the bumper(I think it is ABS) as it will make it easier to repair if I use the right plastic rods. I have also found that my battery support tray is cracked as well so any comments on the plastic used in that would be helpfull. I guess everyone is now under the impression that my Liberty is a bit of a wreck, but until this happened there wasn't a mark on it. Thanks barryh

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I can't help with your dilema but... post up some pics in the JOTM section. This months theme is "stuck/carnage". You might have a winner on your hands.

How'd the Roo fair? Might be time for an ARB!!

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
I smacked a ditch with my bumper and it has a crack in it now too, so if you find out what type of plastic please post it in this thread and I'll have to look into a welder as well.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I happen to be working in a factory that makes all sorts of plastic pieces for new cars.Will check and see what type of plastic is used in bumpers tomorrow.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, it's ABS plastic as mentioned.

One fix I've done on beater cars in the past is rivet the bumper back together. I drilled holes for the rivets on either side of the crack, spacing them apart evenly. Then take a piece of aluminum roof flashing and form it to the back side of the bumper. If done right, it kinda looks like a scar. A badge of honor. lol After all, it is a Jeep.

Seriously though. If nothing else, it's a temporary fix that will keep your bumper from flopping in the wind until you can get it replaced.

Last edited: