Weird Overdrive Behaviour

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdmaroon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2002 Liberty 4x4 3.7L with 45RFE transmission...

I've encountered a very strange problem with overdrive while climbing hills.

If I'm going about 60km/h (35mph) up a fairly steep hill, and I turn the overdrive off (so the light is on), it seems to shift UP to the highest gear, RPM drops from about 2100 down to 1500 and the engine totally bogs down.

If I leave the overdrive on, the default setting, everything is fine and the transmission seems to choose a fairly appropriate gear.

Other than going uphill at 60km/h, the overdrive works as expected. If I'm driving along at any speed that puts me in top gear, pressing the OD button makes the RPM increase as OD is disabled. Going downhill I can turn it off to get better engine braking.

If I'm going faster up a hill, it also seems to work fairly normally.

It's just that one circumstance, going uphill at 60km/h when turning OD off has the opposite effect of what's expected. Trans just goes straight to the highest possible gear and won't change down unless I floor it. Very weird. Anyone ever heard of this? I've tried lots of searching and can't really find anything.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '03 (with an '04 ******) exhibits similar behavior. It actually does better when I don't touch the OD button.

Kinda goes against my grain to not turn the OD off when I'm towing my boat in hilly country; I'd rather the ****** never go into OD cuz I know it will just bounce out of OD again at the next hill. But I've started letting it handle the shifting itself (automatically! :smokin: ) and we'll keep tabs on how it runs.

If anyone has ideas let us know...

Bob

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 with the 42rle does the same thing. Guess when towing they want the torque to lock earlier to reduce temps in the ******. Its not going into 4th and locking, its staying in 3rd and locking the torque. If you're towing something you'll be giving it more gas to accelerate it wont lock 'as' soon (In theory).

atv_maniac

Reaction score
My 04 with the 42rle does the same thing. Guess when towing they want the torque to lock earlier to reduce temps in the ******. Its not going into 4th and locking, its staying in 3rd and locking the torque. If you're towing something you'll be giving it more gas to accelerate it wont lock 'as' soon (In theory).

X2 with jeepjeepster... its to reduce the temps