Weird noise when car starts in cold weather.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your PS pump is making noise you got air in the system(high pitched whine only,other noises is another problem).It is a common issue for the high pressure line to leak in KJ's,allowing air to enter the system.Another issue is the piss poor tank to pump connection,when really cold the seal is not real good and air enters the system.

Oh by the way my '02's PS pump has never made a sound(even in -35 degree weather),replaced the fluid about every 15k with synthetic Valvoline PS fluid.I did replace the whole pump(just because I could,no other reason) and lines for my SFA swap,still no noise and running Amsoil ATF.

Midgear

Reaction score
I believe mine makes this noise being explained here, but it only lasts for about 3 seconds at the absolute longest.. it sounds like my Jeep is trying to squeeze out a fart or something when I first start it eek2.gif

Jeeps_DONT_Flip

Reaction score
Okay. My Jeep has regular power steering fluid, but from researching I hear that ATF 4 is better and will better stop the whining noise. My question is, can I change over to ATF 4 without any problems?

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay. My Jeep has regular power steering fluid, but from researching I hear that ATF 4 is better and will better stop the whining noise. My question is, can I change over to ATF 4 without any problems?

Don't see why not, the later 04's that show ATF should be used have the same pump and rack in them. You would just need to buy some ATF and pull the return line and then flush it out, let the reservoir get almost empty then fill with ATF, then keep going till its almost empty again and fill with more ATF, etc.. Keep repeating until you see fresh ATF coming out the return line and all the old fluid should be gone.

I plan on doing this again when the weather is nicer here.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Mine makes a really weird buzzing/whining noise in the winter when it gets down around 15 degrees F or lower...always has...I used to think it was the belt, but I replaced that, and now I realize it comes from behind the dash, not the front of the engine. It's never caused any problems, just sounded pretty horrible for about 2 or 3 seconds upon first starting up. Then if it's REALLY cold the dashboard howls as I'm driving, but that goes away when it warms up too...but if you're worried about it, you can always have it checked =]

Sounds like you have a blower motor bearing starting to die.

AZWFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So do we have a "how to" for PS pump replacement? Maybe even the tank seal? Or do I need to come up with more creative stories of what that cool-like turbine whine noise is for my passengers?

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So do we have a "how to" for PS pump replacement? Maybe even the tank seal? Or do I need to come up with more creative stories of what that cool-like turbine whine noise is for my passengers?

I don't see a how-to for it... But shouldn't be too bad.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Midgear "it sounds like my Jeep is trying to squeeze out a fart or something when I first start it"

lol we all get gas sometime or another

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score

Bilge pump. No other explanation needed for the passengers :)

Also, tell them
"If you don't like it, you can drive"

AZWFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New Power steering pump

Ran out of excuses. Tired of the What the?? stares when I crank her over. So new pump it is!! BTW this is for 2002- Get your new pump and pulley-puller first, along with a bottle of PS fluid. Works best when engine and beer are cold.

Remove as much fluid from the resivoir as possible. Use a "mighty vac" or turkey baster-your choice. Remove the front grill (4 screws) and radiator upper crossmember (6 screws?) Remove the fan power connector- slide the red tab out first- be patient- open first beer. Remove fan(2 screws) and slide it carefully past the upper radiator hose. Use socket wrench on the belt tensioner to remove the drive belt. Disconnect the hi-side power steering hose. Be prepared with some shop towels or even a drain cup to catch the remining fluid. Remove the return hose to pump. Remove three screws holding the PS pump. Access is through the pump pulley. Remove pulley from old pump. My pulley kit was a free loaner from Checker, worked fine, removal is easy-pressing old pully on new pump is the most difficult. Wished they sold the new pump with a pully already on---open second beer.... Connect low-side return hose first and then re-install new pump. Torque setting is 35 ft-Ft-LB's. Re-connect hi-side hose-not too tight- only 21 ft-lbs. Re-install fan and radiator crossmember and drive belt. Ad PS fluid to the cold full mark, raise the front wheels off the ground and slowly turn the wheels -lock to -lock , left and right about 10-20 times, adding PS fluid as neccessary. Lower the Jeep-Start the engine, check for leaks, and once or twice more- run the wheels far left and right, only lightly stopping at the end points.

Cold start-up today was quiet today. Finally! Low speed steering is improved and now I can once again accept passengers.

Attachments

• IMG_5132.JPG
    IMG_5132.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5137.JPG
    IMG_5137.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5130.JPG
    IMG_5130.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5131.JPG
    IMG_5131.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5122.JPG
    IMG_5122.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 21

AZWFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The inside of the old PS pump looked nasty! Clumps of tar-like goo.

Attachments

• IMG_5116.JPG
    IMG_5116.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5114.JPG
    IMG_5114.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5121.JPG
    IMG_5121.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5124.JPG
    IMG_5124.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5127.JPG
    IMG_5127.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 27

AZWFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine only needed 1 bottle of PS fluid, but I got 2 in case. I'll use it later to swap out some of the fluid after some time.

And Yes- let the beatings begin with my use of fram filters!:D

Attachments

• IMG_5142.JPG
    IMG_5142.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5135.JPG
    IMG_5135.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5136.JPG
    IMG_5136.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 19

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice job There AZWFO !
I think the most neglected fluids are the power steering and brakes.
I know that if you flush the power steering units, they will last a long time.
Even after my recent flush it was a bit noisy, not squeals, just not as quiet as it should be.
I removed the fluid from reservoir and topped it up with the Universal Lubegard 32oz bottle, keeps seals in good shape, and made it now dead quiet.
http://www.lubegard.com/C-199/LUBEGARD+Power+Steering+Fluid

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a lot of filings and grunge in the reservoir on the old pump. You can buy a universal power steering fluid filter to go inline with the return line on the reservoir, then that will catch any crud left in the system, might have to change it after a short time though to prevent clogging as im sure there is crud left in the system.

Just curious though, why remove the upper support and rad fan? I assume to get enough room to work right? I would have thought it was possible without doing that.

And i have Fram too, so no worries! Good Job!

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice job There AZWFO !
I think the most neglected fluids are the power steering and brakes.
I know that if you flush the power steering units, they will last a long time.
Even after my recent flush it was a bit noisy, not squeals, just not as quiet as it should be.
I removed the fluid from reservoir and topped it up with the Universal Lubegard 32oz bottle, keeps seals in good shape, and made it now dead quiet.
http://www.lubegard.com/C-199/LUBEGARD+Power+Steering+Fluid

Where did you get the lubeguard stuff? I've got a NAPA, a Bumper-toBumper, a Canadian Tire and a WalMart nearby.

Forget that I asked. I saw the "Where to Buy" link after I posted. I'll hit up the local NAPA.

Last edited:

AZWFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shudder to think whats inside the R&P. $$$ to fix.... To note, My KJ has has 106k and PS system was flushed by the dealer at about 60K. Was it really done? hmmmm.

The fan and crossmember were called out for removal in the manual, and were way too easy to ignore, i bet you could do the PS without removing. I used the oppourunity of grill-off to reverse-blow "yeah I said that" my radiator fins with compressed air for bug and stuff removal.

With the $$$ i saved i replaced the tensioner. Appearantly for 02 they revised it AND have to use a new style belt, old one dont work anymore......See the size differences..

Attachments

• Tensioner.JPG
    Tensioner.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 23

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I am glad you are set up now with the new tensioner & belt. You should be good to go for a while. I monitor and help the PS fluid condition, by suctioning out the reservoir twice a year, and re-fill with fresh. I would also recommend that you not wait until 60,000 miles to do the power steering flush. The dealer did my first PS flush at 30k miles, with also Transmission service, however both diffs/transfer were done sooner.
Even though Chrysler upgraded from Power steering fluid to a highly friction modified ATF (+4) I know these modifiers break down, and when they do, the units produce more heat by increased friction (and noise) this is not good. (Blackening/discolored fluid is dirt/particulates) THE PS has no magnet either. hmmm...
The only way I can tell the condition of the ATF+4 fluid is by returning to the science lab (LOL) and having two glass test tubes.(small diameter clear glass bottle will do) In the first tube is marked fresh ATF+4 and in the second is sample taken from the PS reservoir, allowed to sit up wright, remained still for 60 minutes. Same applies to ****** fluid. You might get unpleasantly surprised. Flush more often and may the clean force be with you!

Last edited: