Weird noise help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danv508

Reaction score
Ok so my other post is a clicking noise in the engine witch is I guess is just my ocd and a little valve train. Now for my next question it has a thumping noise if I put it in gear dose not matter r-d-2-1 it thumps like a bad drive shaft under my feet but I’m not moving and the weird thing is in tune with my engine click well so I think. Any one have this noise?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok so my other post is a clicking noise in the engine witch is I guess is just my ocd and a little valve train. Now for my next question it has a thumping noise if I put it in gear dose not matter r-d-2-1 it thumps like a bad drive shaft under my feet but I’m not moving and the weird thing is in tune with my engine click well so I think. Any one have this noise?

check the metal heat shields on the exhaust
had a noise on my 04, sitting still, that is what it was

Danv508

Reaction score
Definitely not a metal sound sounds like a driveshaft flopping around more like a flat tire something but the vehicle is not moving like I said it’s when I put it in gear doesn’t matter if it’s forward or reverse it still makes a thump thump thump sound

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Never said anything about a " metal " sound

When you have nothing moving, nothing rotating around, no movement , then it is either a part vibrating or something like that
I have spend many hours under vehicles with someone in the drivers seat I trust trying to track down noises

Danv508

Reaction score
it’s definitely not a metal sound if you close your eyes start the engine yes I hear a little tick from the valve train but if you step on the break and put it in drive or reverse or any other gear it literally sounds like you’re driving down the road on a flat tire or the sound of a bad axle thumping if I put it back in park but something immediately goes away it’s not very loud but it’s definitely noticeable . And like I said that is making the noise while not moving if I’m moving you definitely still hear it also but it does it while the engine is running and not moving soon as I take it out of dried and into park the noise immediately goes away the ****** has been replaced I don’t know when but it was a rebuild I was wondering if it could be something like the pump inside the transmission it’s definitely not a metal metallic sound like a backing and like I said that is making the noise while not moving if I’m moving you definitely still hear it also but it does it while the engine is running and not moving soon as I take it out of dried and into park the noise immediately goes away the ****** has been replaced I don’t know when but it was a rebuild I was wondering if it could be something like the pump inside the transmission it’s definitely not a metal metallic sound like a flex plate

dillon

Reaction score
Do you have a way to put it in the air, a lift or jackstands, and have someone initiate the noise while you look for it underneath?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you think its the flex plate, or want to rule that out, there is a structural inspection plate that can be removed from under the bell housing. You use this when you want to bolt or unbolt the flexplate from the torque converter. I'd open it up and make sure all the bolts are present. Put a breaker bar on the crank bolt and rotate to see all the bolts.