Weekend Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

*BabyGirlJJ*

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it was quite the weekend here for Jeep Mods!!! Spent all weekend in the garage with my guy fixing & moddin away!!! While he was replacing the rear axle shaft on my 03 Liberty, I was busy using the Card Trick to Plasti-Dip my wheels!!! In addition to the wheels, we both took the grills off our Jeeps (he has a grand cherokee)... bought Gutter Guard from Home Depot, measured out the insert size then cut out the mesh. We then flattened them out and plasti-dipped the inserts!!! After allowing the inserts to dry we attached them to the back of the grills with Gorilla Glue!!! I have attached some pics of the before and after! He also painted the calipers on his! I love the way it looks, so you know whats coming next on mine :p

Attachments

• IMG_1246.jpg
    IMG_1246.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2451.jpg
    IMG_2451.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0582.jpg
    IMG_0582.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2407.jpg
    IMG_2407.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2414.jpg
    IMG_2414.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 149

*BabyGirlJJ*

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weekend Project continued

More pics from our weekend project!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2446.jpg
    IMG_2446.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2417.jpg
    IMG_2417.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2429.jpg
    IMG_2429.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2453.jpg
    IMG_2453.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0585.jpg
    IMG_0585.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 108

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Could you post a picture of the Plasti-Dip for me please?
The stuff I have and am thinking of is the same stuff
you find on the handles of pliers, wrenches, etc.

Thanks
Ry'

X2. Looks good.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya Plastic- dip that is interesting. Should stick well, should offer good salt protection too!
Man I thought my KJ had sagging suspension, time to start saving for some OME & Bilstiens.

*BabyGirlJJ*

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you post a picture of the Plasti-Dip for me please?
The stuff I have and am thinking of is the same stuff
you find on the handles of pliers, wrenches, etc.

Thanks
Ry'

http://www.plastidip.com/
The spray can is the one I used for both the grill & the wheels! I bought 4 cans and only used 3 of them. So three cans successfully did 4 wheels (3 coats each) and 14 mesh inserts front and back (3 coats each side). I will say 2 decks of cards is enough to do all four wheels also!!
I will say though, give the plasti-dip about 45 minutes in between coats. On the first coat I gave it about 30 minutes and noticed that the second coat started to run. :) I have more pics that I can post as well!

I am really liking the way it looks!!! I can't wait to paint the calipers!

*BabyGirlJJ*

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya Plastic- dip that is interesting. Should stick well, should offer good salt protection too!
Man I thought my KJ had sagging suspension, time to start saving for some OME & Bilstiens.

I am looking into these as well... We were just talking about how (looking from the front) the arms on the front axle hang a bit low... almost leaving no clearance... I also want to try to find a good set of rear smoked lenses... Know anything about those? good place to order them from?

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. I really like the black rim with the silver remaining on the inside of the tire. Nice job.

*BabyGirlJJ*

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. I really like the black rim with the silver remaining on the inside of the tire. Nice job.

Thanks!! To keep it from "splattering" on the inside I just cut some printer paper and taped it to the back of the wheel over the holes!!! Easy as pie!!! ;)

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I am looking into these as well... We were just talking about how (looking from the front) the arms on the front axle hang a bit low... almost leaving no clearance... I also want to try to find a good set of rear smoked lenses... Know anything about those? good place to order them from?
For the "Jeep Liberty smoked tail lights" you can Google them..lots around...
http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Spec_D-Tuning/Tail-Lights/Jeep-Liberty-Spec_D-Tuning-Smoke-Altezza-Taillights-_-LT_LIB02G_KS/641641/
I have seen in the forums here where you just paint them inside, with what brand not sure, but can search it...I personally like the brighter red, as it helps with visibility, and really do not want to get rear ended....

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smoked tails can be had pretty cheap on Ebay. Just buy the lense and plastic assembly one and reuse your lights it's even cheaper obviously. Buyer beware I put Altezza tails on my last truck (why not, replacing a cracked tail - jazz it up) some Ebay stuff from China is pretty brittle so don't overtorque them they will crack... then let in water and crap...

Actually saw Plastidip in Canada awhile back when looking for POR15 - check http://www.caswellcanada.ca/shop/plastidip-products/ the Canadian outlet for Caswell's in NY... powdercoating/electroplate wizardry is their specialty, but lots of cool stuff.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Use Nite Shades ( by VHT ) to paint your tail lights, I have done two sets with one can and have enough for another set yet, cheap and easy to do and SO MUCH better looking than those cheap Chinese knockoff lights
two lights coats and you're looking good
I taped off the lenses and sprayed two coats on the lights, removed the tape and two more coats over everything
You must be registered for see images attach

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I'm not a big fan of "smoked" lens'.
Not only illegal, but cut's down on actual light output.
And here in Richmond, B.C., you need all the help you
can get too be seen from the back. (Too many "New Drivers"!)

But I must say that I like the way Tom customized
His! Tail light lens'

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shaded lights look really nice. I just need to get a new one in the back that doesn't have tape covering a gaping hole...

I like the little house mods being done on the jeep, I really like the plastic paint. Looks pretty sweet and will protect your wheels from pitting!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
http://www.plastidip.com/
The spray can is the one I used for both the grill & the wheels! I bought 4 cans and only used 3 of them. So three cans successfully did 4 wheels (3 coats each) and 14 mesh inserts front and back (3 coats each side). I will say 2 decks of cards is enough to do all four wheels also!!
I will say though, give the plasti-dip about 45 minutes in between coats. On the first coat I gave it about 30 minutes and noticed that the second coat started to run. :) I have more pics that I can post as well!

I am really liking the way it looks!!! I can't wait to paint the calipers!

That's the exact same stuff I was talking about!

Thanks

*BabyGirlJJ*

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smoked tails can be had pretty cheap on Ebay. Just buy the lense and plastic assembly one and reuse your lights it's even cheaper obviously. Buyer beware I put Altezza tails on my last truck (why not, replacing a cracked tail - jazz it up) some Ebay stuff from China is pretty brittle so don't overtorque them they will crack... then let in water and crap...

Actually saw Plastidip in Canada awhile back when looking for POR15 - check http://www.caswellcanada.ca/shop/plastidip-products/ the Canadian outlet for Caswell's in NY... powdercoating/electroplate wizardry is their specialty, but lots of cool stuff.

LOVE the quote on the bottom of your sig btw!!! That is awesome!!