Water Pump Gasket 3.7L--Is RTV necessary?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burro II

Reaction score
The nice write ups here on replacing the water pump indicate using RTV on re-assy. I don't recall that in the manual nor on the (same) water pump on the 4.7L in my Dakota.

Do I apply RTV to the gasket on water pump installation?

I may be suffering from CRS, but opinions from the field are welcome.

Thanks.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I use it mainly just to hold gasket in place for reassembly when doing gaskets etc
But with some having a O-Ring type of gasket that sits down in a grove , not really a necessary thing to do IMO
Others may think differently, and it could be cheap insurance

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Very true ^^^^^
but you never glop on a gallon either, very very very thin amount, common sense comes into play LOL
oh wait, that's right, common sense has been bred out of a lot of folks these day ;)

But I know what you mean, have removed various parts that looked like someone was spreading nutty peanut butter on fresh baked bread before

Reaction score
The nice write ups here on replacing the water pump indicate using RTV on re-assy. I don't recall that in the manual nor on the (same) water pump on the 4.7L in my Dakota.

Do I apply RTV to the gasket on water pump installation?

I may be suffering from CRS, but opinions from the field are welcome.

Thanks.

When doing mine I did not use RTV. Sealed the pump to the timing cover perfectly.

LibertyFlip

...Decided To Keep It
Reaction score
Can confirm as well, didn't use RTV when I replaced mine about a month ago and it's been leak free.

Can also confirm what Tom said about RTV, I must have used a bit too much when re-installing the timing cover after a timing chain replacement and found little bits of it stuck in my closed thermostat lol

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used RTV on mine on the outside edge of the gasket groove and a light coat of rtv on the gasket.
Mostly because I had some corrosion issue on the block that resulted in some small holes on the mating surface.

The small holes were patched.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No rtv onthe ones I have replaced on my 4.7 grand cherokee and 3.7 liberty. No leaks

Wesla

Reaction score
Search function came in clutch. This thread saved me. I have spray-tack stuff for gaskets, meant mainly to hold it in place for easy install. I thought I would need RTV for this. Guess I'll just give it some light sprays of that aerosol spray-tack instead and bolt it up in a star pattern sequence.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im gonna be resealing my water pump soon, ive had a slow leak that only happens in -10 or below. I think the water pump was installed with a cork gasket (guessing) so im putting a rubber one from rockauto, do you guys think i should use a little rtv to help seal it? If not on the pump what about the lower hose seal near the thermostat? (Installing new gaskets in both spots)

Reaction score
Im gonna be resealing my water pump soon, ive had a slow leak that only happens in -10 or below. I think the water pump was installed with a cork gasket (guessing) so im putting a rubber one from rockauto, do you guys think i should use a little rtv to help seal it? If not on the pump what about the lower hose seal near the thermostat? (Installing new gaskets in both spots)
I replaced mine last winter with a Gates Metal Impeller and it came with a rubber gasket. After torqueing bolts to spec never had another drop leak from it regardless of temp outside

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a look on top just behind the pulley after a cold night. Mine puddles there a little bit.

Latest posts

Members online