Water Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buckericlewis

Reaction score
I have a water leak problem and can't find where the water is coming from. The water is only on the driver's side and driver's side rear under the carpet. If you feel under the carpet the whole pad is soaked. There are no drips from the door area, firewall or heat vent. Where is the water coming from? Can anyone help?

buckericlewis

Reaction score
no. just normal driving. i live in washington state so it rains here a lot but not any more than it normally does. i haven't been driving the jeep the last few days and i checked under the carpet again and it's soaked again. it rained last night so it has to be from that. i pulled up the carpet on the driver's side and had someone soak the jeep with a hose to see if i could find the source and had no luck. this is driving me crazy!!!

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taillights are an excelllent way for water to get into the vehicle. I'd start with the driver's side and pull the taillights and check them out. Look for a water trail through into the interior of the vehicle, check the gasket to make sure it's intact and for proper seating, this is my best guess at a hidden source of the leak. Other than that I'm sure you've already done it, but check the usual sources like windows (ALL windows, not just the ones that roll down... include the rear gate window) and sunroof (if so equipped). The rear gate might need inspecting... look at the rubber seal for problems (and it wouldn't hurt to do the other 4 doors either). That should about cover all the sources, although most of which you've likely done already.

Having just seem the Suzuki Aerio commercial, I'd also check for annoying little brats in the back seat that open the windows while you're going through the car wash \:D/

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4Factor said:
Having just seem the Suzuki Aerio commercial, I'd also check for annoying little brats in the back seat that open the windows while you're going through the car wash \:D/

Wow! I would leave them there to get a job, lol.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Went through this with my neighbors Cavalier last summer. The drainage pipe for the A/C was clogged, as well at the vents inbetween the top of the hood and the bottom of the windshield.

Stick your hand up inside the a/c drainage pipe and see if you can feel any thing blocking it (not too hard for a leaf or something to get up there and block something up)

Also, take a garden hose, and with moderate pressure, force some water back up the drainage tubes for the vents on inbetween the hood and the windshield. The water normally drains out right behind the front tires. If you look at the wheel well at the bottom, you'll see how at the very bottom it gets kinda square(ish) and if you put your fingers under there, you'll feel where the hole is for the water to come out. If under moderate pressure, you get some gunk to come out, thats your problem. If thats the case, try increasing the pressure a little bit each time, untill you think you've broke the gunk loose, then take the hose and go to town at the vents, lilke normal, and that should solve it.

If it's not the other two, perhaps the windshield isn't sealed properly?

buckericlewis

Reaction score
so even if i haven't used my a/c in a while, would the water still drain into the interior? if so does anyone know where the drainage tube is?

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had the same problem on my passenger side, your driver side RHD,

The AC drain hose works loose, if you have warranty the dealer should fix it

buckericlewis

Reaction score
i have over 60k, so i don't have a warranty. the dealer said it would be from $200-$1000 to find the source of the problem. for that price i'll just live with the damn leak. so where can i find the AC drain hose?

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's something I didn't want to hear.

I traded-in my 2000 Cherokee for that very reason. A leak on the passenger side that couldn't be found. It only leaked when it rained heavy and I was parked up-hill.

I couldn't take it anymore, so I traded it in for my 2005 Renegade. I hope this problem doesn't reappar on me in a few years.

2003KJ

Reaction score
The A/C Drain hose is off to your left, if you're standing outside looking at it. In the open area b/w the engine and everything else you should see a little black hose facing downward, and should be shaped like a hook. If you'd like i'll snap a pic for you in a bit.

Latest posts

Members online