Water leak- passenger side- quick fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Therian

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

i am wondering if i put some of that spray foam insulation in the small slot to fill in this area if that might do the trick...this area fills up with water..we can hear it sloshing around after a rain fall. besides the slot for the the panel to lock it in place, is there anything else in that area that would be an issue if i filled it in with that foam?...i have done everything else....driving me nuts!!!
PS.. i got the picture posted too!! thanks for the help earlier!!
Put a bead of silicone around the door boot where the wires feed through for the door. That's where my leak was and it looks just like your photo, it fixed mine for over a year.

QcHemi

Reaction score
appreciate the info

Glad you didn't try this.. if you're talking a closed cell automotive foam, that's one thing.. but if you were talking about regular spray foam insulation, it's open cell and retains water..therefore not the best solution for a water leak
Nah..I didn't do it. thanks for the info....it has been dry since doing all of the above items..when I put the plastic panels back on I put some silicone around each tab that went into a hole and I am hopefully done with it. :happy107:

QcHemi

Reaction score
Thought I would just let everyone know, the fixes I did that I got from this website did the job!.. No leaks since the last post....Thanks for all of the tips.

ashman308

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but thanks. Just bought an 06 and have this exact leak.

ashman308

Reaction score
Fixed mine. We had a full day of rain this week, no leak. Glad I found this thread.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this thread is relevant to my interests. found water in my weathertek mat the other day, after several straight days of rain of various quantities. I had the windshield replaced earlier this year, and up until this month the jeep got to live indoors (don't ask; long story, lost my fight with the town and my "shed" is gone. so the jeep is outside now for the time being. :( ) I'll have to pull the cowl back off and check that filter area, as I had removed it while the windshield and cowl were out/off. bet it's not sealing right.

Joenavy85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad I found this thread. I've been dealing with a sporadic leak for a couple years now, I've narrowed it down to the upper passenger side of the windshield and the door seal, as the water coming in is leaving small pools in the A-Pillar cover. I'm busy this weekend, but will definitely be checking these spots out next weekend.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've had a few big down pours here in WA the last couple of weeks, and with that comes a sopping wet passenger side floor?! What?! We've only had our KJ for a couple months, but I figured with as much info as I've gotten already, I should contribute. I did a search on here to find common leak areas, and I double checked all those with nothing. I zip tied the garden house to the roof rack and got to tracking, took the seat out, folded over the carpet and took the drenched carpet pad out. I took the plastic shield out from under the dashboard right under the fan motor and left the water running. After a few minutes there was a drip. It was dripping right off of the motor casing. I took the hood cowel off and noticed the intake baffle for the vent ducting. The water was pooling and draining in the right places. I took it off and found the water inside the fan, around the padding and dripping down the case. The gasket material had gone bad so I resealed it and tightened it back down. Waited and turned the water on again, NO water!

Not sure if this has been covered before, I didn't see it on the search so hopefully this can just be one more place someone can double check while chasing a leak.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

I just resealed this screen aka Cabin Filter. The old gasket is actually foam tape. I dont think this foam was ever meant to hold back water.

I noticed near the fender there was a passage blocked with debris. It's all clean now so no water should build up and enter the screen. But this screen is definitely a place for water to enter the cabin if large amounts of water come by here. So No your Jeep is not a Motor Boat!

I used silicone to seal it up. Hopefully I don't ever have to remove this screen again cause it will probably break apart before I get it off.

I hope this is the reason for a wet passenger floor. Otherwise Less time for me to enjoy my weekend!

Thanks for the Post!

Attachments

• HVAC GASKET.JPG
    HVAC GASKET.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 38

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same leak. What can I use to "reseal" the gasket back down? Thanks.

Hopefully your throw away the weather striping/"Gasket" clean it up and just use silicone!

Jeeplovngirl77

Reaction score
Here is a video of mine in action.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Were you able to fix it? If so, how? I have the EXACT SAME PROBLEM! Just discovered where it was leaking finally, after over a year. Need help how to fix this!

Slugger103

Reaction score
Took the cowl off, removed the air intake baffle and noticed the seal while in one piece looked old & worn. So...after cleaning the entire area and the mounting surfaces of the piece I put down a thin bead of silicone on the underside of the baffle, put the seal back in place then ran another bead of silicone on top of the seal and bolted the baffle into place. Will water test it tomorrow sometime.

Slugger103

Reaction score
Reference my previous post with picture...the weld (lower left of the picture...covered in debris) had what looked like a couple gaps. Since I had run out of silicone RTV I ended up cleaning the area real good & sprayed 3 coats of clear Flex Seal over the holes, cleaned up the cowl area and put the cowl back on. It rained all night & all morning today - bone dry inside. Another Liberty falls into the bad weld pit of leaks!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Glad you sealed the gaps/seam/weld area leaks.
Looks like you had a nasty nest in there. How do mice/critters get in there anyways?

Slugger103

Reaction score
Glad you sealed the gaps/seam/weld area leaks.
Looks like you had a nasty nest in there. How do mice/critters get in there anyways?

Dunno. Found a mouse nest and a snake skin under the cowl. When I removed the air cleaner housing & took the old filter out I found a dead mouse in there also! This KJ had been abandoned in the back yard by the ex-wife for almost a year. She did keep going out, starting it and drive it once in a great while just to keep it running.

Latest posts

Members online