Water leak- How hard to fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003jeepKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

2003 Liberty 3.7-
Found water spots on the driveway, when I looked underneath I saw drips coming from an object that the 2 heater hoses and lower radiator hose goes to. Is that the water pump? It seems to drip from in between the alum. and black plastic.

How hard to fix, How costly???

Thank you for all your help!!

2003jeepKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Luke- Thanks for the feedback, but it's not the water pump. Say that the water pump is in the middle of the picture. The part I'm talking about is at 7 o'clock (to the left and bottom of the waterpump). I've replaced many waterpumps on V-8's but the 3.7 is a different animal.

2003jeepKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I may of found the answer- I believe its leaking inbetween the plastic section of the Thermostat Housing.Liberty.

2003jeepKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why is it hard to drain the coolant. Any tips or just open the thermostat housing and let it flow!

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
see the... ;)

I was kidding :D

the "How To" I linked should get you through it ... Good Luck

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacing the water pump on the 3.7 is very easy. More so if you don't have the fan mounted on the water pump pulley.

Thermostat is easy too. But the thermostat itself is way too expensive. $30 at napa.

2003jeepKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read a few articles saying that if your replacing the thermostat you should also replace the plastic housing since they have a tendency to develop a tiny split.

What do you think?

Also, I've read ( I know too much reading) not to drain the coolant at the petcock, it seem sthat they never seat themselves after being open.
Then how do you drain the coolant besides making a Niagra Fall of everything?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Never too much reading :D

Your call .. if you've got the $ why not?

Just a wide tub under the hose was plenty .. it's not like there is gallons and gallons of coolant in there ... it wont empty completely.

Tip : I measured what came out so that I knew how much distilled water and coolant to mix up. You can of course reuse your coolant if it is relatively fresh, but again, since your there might as well add new coolant.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never heard about the housing splitting. Can't hurt to replace it.

You can take the clamp off the lower hose and slowly pull it off and let it drain. I also never use the petcocks.

2003jeepKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I purchase the thermostat & housing from Autozone today (approx. $36.00) and made the repairs.
All it involved was removing the top & bottom bolt off of the Thermostat Housing, the hardest part is getting your hand in there. The Thermostat spring end goes into the block side. There is a tab on built-in rubber gasket on the thermostat that lines up with the housing. It is not needed but I did use a little Black RTV placed around the block side of the housing. I sprung for upper and lower Rad hoses, installed the same and everythiong is running in good shape.