Water intrusion in cabin.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rotorhead511

Reaction score
Anyone else have issues with water intrusion. Passenger side flood was soaked.

I did some digging, pulled the door weather strip off and found water dripping at the dash on the inside of the cabin.

I've had this happen to my Odyssey and it was the sealant added between the welds of the body. This sealant deteriorated and water would seep through the metal body parts. A quick silicone sealant after removing the roof rail stopped this.

I'm guessing there are body seals under this roof rail also. Can anyone else confirm this? Or maybe diagnose if my theory is wrong?

2002 model year

Thanks, Bruce

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Look in the cowl area above where the water you seen coming in, a few folks have had an issue there
and yes there are welds under the roof rails
think of the body as being in three parts before the welder take over
sides, and middle section

rotorhead511

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I did see after searching that the cowl area has been an issue for some.

My water was coming down the A pillar trim. The one with the hand hold. Well todays rain finally stopped so I went at it.

I took all the seals off and as I removed the A pillar trim the water kept dripping from the headliner. In the picture below the water was coming from the circled area. The headliner was dry from a few inches behind the arrow back so in my head its got to be coming from forward or in this area. Nothing between this area and the sunroof was wet so I'm thinking that's not it. Next picture.

You must be registered for see images attach

So almost right above the wet area is on of the holes that the trim is ******* to. All of these ***** holes had brittle, broken or non-existing sealant around them. I could tell the factory had sealed these in production almost 20 years ago but age has taken its toll. Well with a syringe I injected water in the hole right above the wet spot. Low and behold, the water immediately ran down the headliner and started dripping from the circled area of the first picture. Can one tiny hole actually cause this? Water can do some strange things. I went silicone crazy on all these hole and on the screws themselves. I gave it about a half hour and ran the hose for an initial check. No water came from the headliner. I'm going to let the silicone cure for a while and check again. The real check will be after our next rain.

The weld seams looked great. Much better than my vans. I did not touch them.

You must be registered for see images attach

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Sunroofs have a water collection pan that has come unscrewed on a few KJs. From the pan there are 4 drain tubes. Two running down the front pillars and two running behind the back doors. Maybe you have a tube plugged or disconnected? Or maybe you've got it nailed already.

rotorhead511

Reaction score

Latest posts

Members online