washer question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atcspaul

Reaction score
i just bought a 2002 jeep liberty sport and what a nice ride. (was driving a ford focus lol) anyway quick question. the rear windshield washer works and front does not. i live right on the beach so each morning windshield must be cleaned because of salt spray. does the same pump operate both the rear and front washer? trying to get a starting point before i start. thank you so much and nice forum. finding out lots of good information

Last edited:

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just bought a 2002 jeep liberty sport and what a nice ride. (was driving a ford focus lol) anyway quick question. the rear windshield washer works and front does not. i live right on the beach so each morning windshield must be cleaned because of salt spray. does the same pump operate both the rear and front washer? trying to get a starting point before i start. thank you so much and nice forum. finding out lots of good information

It should be one pump, at least on my 03, it's one. I'd start checking lines.

Attachments

• temp001.jpg
    temp001.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 25

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah its one pump, its a reversible motor, spins one way to pump to the front and the other way to pump to the rear. If the rear is working then it might just be a blockage. I would start by disconnecting the washer fluid line at the firewall to the nozzles and put it in an empty bottle and run the washer pump for a bit to see if its pumping up to the nozzles. You could just have plugged nozzles. If that's the problem then you need to clean them out or replace them. They are a fairly inexpensive part, i bought new ones for my wife's PT last year and they are pretty close to the same, the dealer price was $4 each. The only bad thing is the time it's going to take to tear it apart to replace the nozzles but its not that difficult.

If the pump isn't pumping up to the nozzles go down to the pump, its a pain to get to as its on the bottom of the reservoir behind the bumper cover on the passenger side, and pull the line from the pump and try again, if you have someone that can help you a minute have them trigger the washer pump while you watch it. I don't remember which side of the pump is which, i think the front facing line was the windshield. Try both if nothing else and just make sure the pump squirts out both sides when you run the front and rear washer fluid switches.

You want to test all this and rule out the pump first because its an expensive bastard!! When i hit the deer this year my washer fluid reservoir got cracked and the pump got smashed, that damn pump was like $70 from the dealer and on backorder from most places.

Latest posts

Members online