Vibration Diagnosis?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.. ever since I ran over that tree my jeeps had a vibration... lol imagine.
I was starting to believe that one of my parking brakes was hanging up on one of the rear wheels.. used it for working on my driveshaft and it got pretty stressed on while I was loosening the driveshaft bolts (should've chucked the front wheels but didnt). But I'm not so sure it's that anymore.. only once in a great while can I feel a pull and can never tell if it's the road or jeep.
I rarely use the parking brake, but it used to be very difficult to engage and now doesnt seem too hard at all.

The vibration would typically only happen above 60 and when coming down a hill without pressing the brakes or gas. But lately it has started being that it happens about half the time, at any given speed.
When I'm going really slow, seems like it bounces up and down too much as well.
I should add, that the vibration feels almost rotational, which is what led me to believe it was one of the drive wheels since I don't believe it's the driveshaft, but I could have messed something up myself I suppose?

Wondering if anybody had any input on what to check?
Going to inspect the parking brakes either later tonight or in the morning.. but the place I'll probably start with (if the brakes seem fine) is to go get an alignment as I haven't had one in too long (and I just ran over a tree lol).
And if the alignment is good and it still does it, I think I'm going to have my driveshaft balance checked in-phase just to make sure it's not that.
The only damage I was able to find afterward, was to my rocker panels, but this has since been fixed.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you check wheel balance? My rim was bent a tad..wobbly pop at 60mph too.
click on image to see video..
You must be registered for see images attach
"]
[/URL]
Done on a wheel balancing machine with a digital screen....
57908[/ATTACH]"]

An alignment would be great too!
Have them check the front end over good, make sure nothing is bent/loose.
Rotors within spec? Out of round, use a run out dial indicator.

Attachments

• Digital%20Balancer.jpg
    Digital%20Balancer.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 0

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I checked the rotors was about 4k ago, and they were less than 2 thousands of an inch.
As for the wheels.. that would make sense.. a lot of sense lol. Cuz if the tree didn't bend a rim, I wouldn't be surprised if it knocked some of the weights off. There were up to 10g of weight, the lowest being at 4.5g. Walmart, smh..
Thinking about taking it to Dunn tire for an alignment check and wheel balance check.
Tried watching the video but for some reason it wouldn't let me.
The more I think about it though, the more I think you're onto something with the rims.. can't believe I overlooked that lol

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Does it feel more front or rearish? Maybe try swapping the rims around? Although they could all be bent lol.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol definitely wouldn't surprise me if they all were.. swear it felt like I jumped the tree lol. Front end bounced over, rear end crashed through...

Definitely feels more rear endish to me, but there seems to be an annoying hum that comes along with the vibration, and the hum sounds from the front...
But my gut tells me it's coming from the back passenger side..
So maybe theyre all shot :p

If I would've just spent my money on the lift before winter instead of waiting till spring :D instead the money got dumped into my mustang and it's just gunna sit for a few more months anyways..

Guess it's a good time to start saving for some new rims to go with the upcoming lift!!

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okaaayyyy, just hit me!! Bing bang boom.. pretty sure you were on the money with that one...
Always used to feel like it's from the back passengers side.. rotated my tires shortly after hitting the tree... and now that back passenger rim is on the front drivers side (didn't follow rotation, just used tread depth gauge to tell where I wanted which tires), which is where the vibration seems to come from now...
Gunna check in the morning, but I'm pretty sure you guys may have just guessed my problem all the way from Canada and Wisconsin (biggthumpup)

Think I'm gunna swap that rim with my spare and see if I feel any difference..

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Try the video again, quite the visible wobble.
Also while jacked up, check the wheel bearing hubs & see if you have any upwards/sideways movement.
Spin em and see if you hear or feel anything strange.
Also on a lift it would not be the first time I have used an auto stethoscope to listen to hub noise, as the tires were spinning /engine at 2000 rpm.
I would still have them all balance checked, and alignment.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
People helping people out. This is a great forum.

Let us know how the fix goes, Gunner.

Dave

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah keep us posted, my first successful diagnosis maybe. :D

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the video to work.. and I'm really hoping mine don't end up looking like that! Lol :D
The hubs don't have 5k on them yet, so I'm hoping they didn't end up destroyed, but definitely worth checking out. I'll check the runout on them when I take the wheel off and report back..
Thank you guys for your help so far! No matter how simple it end up being, sometimes when it'a your own problem you end up overlooking those simple things. Always good to know there's help available if needed! :happy160:

Members online

No members online now.