Very Weird Noise/Sound.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NotRegistered

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am new to the Forums, but from what I can see, there is alot of knowledge here.

Well here goes, I have a 2003 Liberty and it is making a very strange noise, but only occasionally. The sound is definitely coming from inside, but I am not sure if it is within the dashboard or not. It actually sounds like a short boom-like deep sound, but kinda low in volume. I don't know how to describe it any better than that. Whenever it happens, both me and my wife look at each other and say "it wasn't me", LOL.

Hopefully someone can decifer what I am trying to explain.

Thanks in advance and keep up the great work.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More specifics? Are you in motion when it happens, sitting still, accelerating, etc? There are a lot of possibilities for the noise, so more info on circumstances would help narrow it down...

Oh, and welcome to the forum \:D/

NotRegistered

Reaction score
Thanks for the response..........Now that you ask, I think when it happens, it's during acceleration. But, like I said, it does not happen too often.

mri

Reaction score
strange noise

You might have same issue I have with my 03 liberty. Best way I described it was a farting noise and I probably sounded crazy when I posted that originally. No one seems to know what is but it hasnt caused any problems. One person mentioned the HVAC purging. Anyway it hasn't caused problems except for that exact response you and ur wife have lol.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the position of the A/C controls? Many times the A/C can kick on when you are accelerating(high engine rpms) and cause this noise.

I believe I said the same thing about mri's thread, but he said the A/C wasnt on at the time. O:)

mri

Reaction score
beano

Yup that is correct!!! It did it when the car was off when I was waiting in the parking lot for someone. Who knows it is just embarrasing lol.

Gris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get the exact same thing! My wife look at each other funny because it sounds exactly like a fart.

I've heard it driving, parked, turning and going strait. Kinda sounds like there is a springy efect in there too. like a boinging besides the normal farting.