V8 in the KK counter part?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this isn't a Dodge Nitro Forum but I figured you KK guys would know the answer to this. One of my Co-works Claims to have a V8 in there Dodge Nitro. :confused: I'm a little confused at this because I know the KK doesn't have a V8 Option and the Nitro and KK and one in the same (With the exception of the KK just being sooo much cooler, better looking and can be taken off road.) I Believe there Nitro has the 3.7 just like everyone else. So are they telling the truth or just running some B.S. (In my opinion I think it's B.S. )

Thanks!!!

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nitro

The Nitro does have an optional 4.0L V6, which boasts 260hp as opposed to the 210hp of the 3.7L V6. The option is only available in the R/T package, which can easily be distinguished by the 20" wheels.

There is no V8 available for the Nitro.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea the Nitro is an R/T because it does have 20in Rims and remember seeing the Badge for it.

Thanks for the info

I wounder why they don't offer the 4.0L to the liberty.

FYI
This also means the 4.0L and 3.7L are about the same in MPG. Because we where talking about MPG today and there R/T Nitro only gets an avg of 16-17 to gallon and thats what I get too with my 3.7L

midrider

Reaction score
I'm hoping that we will see a V-8 available in 2009 . I'll trade my 2008 Liberty for it . I would love to have that option

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
V8

With gas prices the way they are, and EPA fleet efficiency demands, I seriously doubt it.

The only engine I'm looking forward to is the one Ford is coming out, a small diesel available in the F-150 for the first time ever. I may let the wife drive the KJ and I might get a truck.

The new emissions free Honda CSX is where it's at. Too bad celebs get first dibs.

Mr_Nick

Reaction score
FYI
This also means the 4.0L and 3.7L are about the same in MPG. Because we where talking about MPG today and there R/T Nitro only gets an avg of 16-17 to gallon and thats what I get too with my 3.7L

Not necessarily, I average 20-21mpg on my KK. I doubt a KK with a 4.0 will get the same mileage.

And yes, you always need a bigger engine. I know Jeeps aren't meant for speed, but this thing is slow.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe he was confused with the Jeep Commander, they have a 5.7L HEMI. Engine size and fuel economy don't always correspond as you think. I've seen a Toyota truck with a I4 get worse mileage than my Jeep, I've also seen a Ford truck with a V8 get better mileage. IIRC an engine with more low end torque will get better MPG than a similar engine with the torque higher in the RPM's.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well either way guys, I was right about there being no V8 and they were wrong and you guys where my proof! Thanks for help!

I guess he'll think twice before saying anything. He's want's to test his nitro off road down in our river run offs. Lots of mud in the low level areas and up hill climbs and low gear driving becuase the access roads are loaded with holes. I kinda laughed and said my 1991 ford Taurus is better for off roading than the nitro lol.

I also think he challanged my KJ to an off road match to see who has the better rig. If he wants to go through with it I will deffiently get pics!

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also think he challanged my KJ to an off road match to see who has the better rig. If he wants to go through with it I will deffiently get pics!

It'll be funny if he has the stock tires. I'm sure they're good for nothing! He'll be lucky if a few blades of grass don't hang him up. If he has decent off-road tires (not the chrome 20's), he might get a ways before damaging something on the pretty machine (ie. no available stock armor).

Last edited:

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are you dissing the Taurus. It is just as capable as a Nitro offroad. Nethier of them have 4Low so they are only good in ummm, umm, ok they both suck equally offroad.

The 91 Taurus just might be a car but it used to be my beater vehicle before I got the KJ. It drove like a tank and treated it like a tank. I used to take mine out into the woods over rocks and through water to get to the party spots and it brought my back home every time.

It'll be funny if he has the stock tires. I'm sure they're good for nothing! He'll be lucky if a few blades of grass don't hang him up. If he has decent off-road tires (not the chrome 20's), he might get a ways before damaging something on the pretty machine (ie. no available stock armor).

I think he tires are steet/all season tires and thats the only set he has.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

He is a couple of bricks short of a load if he wants to take a 2wd vehicle off road against a 4x4. I wouldn't bother to humor him as you will end up towing him out and I'm sure he has no hooks and if something breaks he will blame you.

Dave

P S - As to the v-8.....Just buy him a can of v-8 juice.....:D

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 91 Taurus just might be a car but it used to be my beater vehicle before I got the KJ. It drove like a tank and treated it like a tank. I used to take mine out into the woods over rocks and through water to get to the party spots and it brought my back home every time.

Yeah I don't think a Nitro could take that much abuse.:D