V-6 Idle speed adjustable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gavin

Reaction score
Is the engine idle speed adjustable on my 2002 Liberty Limited V-6?
Or do I have another problem?

Whenever I stop at a light, etc. with the lights and the rear defrost on, the battery light comes on. If I speed the engine up just a tad, it goes off. The engine idles about 500 rpm according to the tach. I replaced the battery and the light still comes on.

I think if I could speed up the idle just a little it would fix it. Or is my alternator bad?

thanks

dnm45227

Reaction score
Could be the alternator, Autozone can test it on the car. I would go that route first.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Definately sounds like an alternator starting to go south. The fact that when you speed the engine speed up just a little bit from idle, therefore making it produce just that little bit more of electricity. As mentioned, run it down to Autozone, they can test it for free and probably get you one at a decent price.

gavin

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

However, I am still concerned that it is idling very slow. 500 rpm seems awful slow for a V6.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine idles at just about 550 or 600 so it's probably okay. Fast idle is only like 800-900. Only way I think to adjust idle speed is through the computer. Probably a very low idle to improve city mileage and reduce emission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can check on the intake. On our 94 grand there is a screw to adjust idle, Ive never looked on the libby though.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Both my '04 and my sister's '05 idle at about 550RPM. That's what I love to call...... and you might see this a lot from me....

Normal. =D>

gavin

Reaction score
Thanks boys!

Anyone have a great deal on a great alternator?

gavin

Reaction score
Oh, BTW, here are my rides!
You must be registered for see images

gavin

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
gavin said:
Oh, BTW, here are my rides!

Ohh, I love big garages!! I take it the ford has a LS diff? lol, mad at the wife?

DAMN! Do you have a crystal ball?

Sorry to post such a messy pic. Usually my garage is much cleaner and tidier.

The "working garage" is around back in the basement where I keep my toys and my tools.

dano104

Reaction score
You call that garage unkempt? I am officially jealous of any dude that has more than one garage. LUCKY!!!!!

2003KJ

Reaction score
gavin said:
Usually my garage is much cleaner and tidier.

Thats unkept?? HA!!!! Last time my garage looked like that was 5 minutes before I pulled into teh driveway with the U-haul truck......and my working garage and jeep garage are the same thing!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.