Used KJ Price Opinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All-

Went to a Chrysler dealer's used car lot today to price an '05 KJ for my brother with 38K miles. All in all, the truck looks to be in good shape, minus a few scratches. It will definitely need tires within the next 5K miles or so, but other than that, looks pretty nice and has some nice features like power everything, tinted glass, and command-trac 4X4. It also comes with an 8/80 powertrain warranty. This is intended to be an on-the-road vehicle, but up in Rochester, NY where there is lots of snow.

They have an asking price of 12500, but said he can get out the door for 11,600. All things considered, what do you think about the price? Think it's a good buy?

jsc7002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be willing to bet you could get it out the door for less than $11,000, used car lots have a huge mark-up in their price and dont let them tell you anything different.

Id try to get it out the door for about $10,500 just go in and say youll pay $10,000 out the door adn start from there

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that sub-$11,000 is certainly possible. First, Libertys get notoriously low mileage. In this economy, with these gas prices, the dealership will have a hard time unloading low mpg vehicles. Second, as mentioned before, there's a huge mark-up on trade-ins. Guarantee they gave the person that traded it in no more than $8,000. That being said, it sounds like a decent deal. I got my '04 one year ago and it had about 36K, similar options, for $12,500.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it notoriously low, but the Liberty definitely isn't a mileage king by any means.

I recently saw a '04 Columbia Edition, 53k with sunroof for $9995.

Kevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would assume out the door includes tax/title/reg since a dealer won't let you out the door without paying all that ;). Back to reality. I checked Manheim real quick and the price doesn't seem too bad. For example, a few similar mileage '07s were selling for high 9s. Figure about $200 in auction fees, maybe another $200 to clean it up and $1,000 profit, you're in their ballpark. Funny thing is the few '05s I saw with similar mileage were selling within 500-1000 of the '07. Go closer to 50k miles and the prices seem to fall to around 7k.

Keep in mind these are dealer-exclusive prices at auction so YMMV. Don't expect to pay what they pay since they need to eat too but at least you have a starting point.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also there is a cars.com website with a research a car function that will give you price ranges based on mileage, options, and condition. Play with it. Tons of other info and complete vehicle specks for anything there too.

Dave

Kevin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why? I'll just give him wholesale:

2005 Liberty Sport 4x4
Above: $11,158 - 20,614 miles
Average: $9,065 - 41,228 miles
Below: $6,972 - 61,842 miles
* Most recent data; based on 311 vehicles sold

Those are average prices used car dealers are paying at auction. Add in auction/transport fees and the cost of a detail/wash and you have their typical cost. Factor in what you think they want to profit and negotiate from there.

Like I said, if by some chance the price includes tax, it drops the "cost" of the vehicle to ~$10,700 which doesn't seem too bad. Based on the year and mileage, I'd bet its an off-lease...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They most likely only gave $7000-$7500 as trade in for that KJ,maybe a little less.They did a oil change and fixed anything little(or major) that was wrong with it(cracked glass,broken door handles and the like).So with that they may have anywhere from $200 to $500 into it.Make them put new tires on it and you can walk out the door with it for $10,500 and they still would be making at least $2000 on it.

SuiteXVI

Reaction score
I just joined the KJ family a few weeks ago. I found an `05 Limited with only 16k miles for $12,990. It was actually sold new in June of `06 so it's still under full warranty. It was the best price for a 'like new' Liberty I could find in my area (N. Delaware)