uprated battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MKay

Reaction score
whats the best suited battery for a 3.7 kj

i like to use the heated seats while the engines not running so somthing with a little more than the original equipment is needed

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can find anyone selling it locally overrrr therrrre, Oy!

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iwas wondering the same question. i put a big draw on my stock battery and need something with more output.i believe some one mentioned an optima yellow top?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
iwas wondering the same question. i put a big draw on my stock battery and need something with more output.i believe some one mentioned an optima yellow top?

Not sure which one is "better" - red top or yellow top.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just threw in a Optima RedTop 34-78 which I got from Sams Club for $134.99... It has 800 CCA and 1000 CA with free 3 year replacement and 7 year pro-rated replacement. I put it in just before we got blasted with our coldest weather of the year. Purposely I placed the Jeep outside and it sat overnight in -10 to 0 degree weather. When I woke up in the early morning the windchill was -20 and the Jeep turned over without a choke.

I'm Phil and I approve this message

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so a redtop will be good enough? my lights dim a little when i have my stereo up.

what is the ca and cca for the stock battery?

Last edited:

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This stock battery is the best freakin battery I ever had!!! 7 years old, 17 degrees cold, my daughter gets to school & I get to work on time!

I am definitely shopping for a new battery tomorrow as I fear this thread is a wake up call.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Optima Redtops are the way to go!

700CA is better than the stocker and the fiberglass mat construction will last a lot longer than those lead acid plate batteries.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
For now my OEM Mopar battery is still starting it right up, even when it was -10 F . When it craps out I will look for an Optima Red Top as my first choice.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I've got a Optima RedTop 34-78 which cost me $213.00 with tax at wal Mart.
I would of bought a yellow top or blue top from them but they were out of stock with both. They were selling the yellow top for $239.00 and the blue top for $213.00, but I couldn't wait as I needed a battery ASAP. Great product, I'm thinking of removing the air cleaner assembly and installing a fresh air intake, then that empty space where that battery sized air box was, installing a yellow or blue top in its place and have a second battery for lights, winch, etc.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For people that want to know, the red tops are better for starting but are not the best for high currents for a long time. If you drain the battery there is a chance that it will not take charge again and it will shorten the life of the battery. Although Ive killed mine 3 times and its fine, Ive read a lot about people no being able to recharge then once they are dead.

The yellow tops can take high loads and take recharges. They are not as good at starting though.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
For people that want to know, the red tops are better for starting but are not the best for high currents for a long time. If you drain the battery there is a chance that it will not take charge again and it will shorten the life of the battery. Although Ive killed mine 3 times and its fine, Ive read a lot about people no being able to recharge then once they are dead.

The yellow tops can take high loads and take recharges. They are not as good at starting though.

Isn't there one that combines both?
I never had problem starting the jeep other than when it is really cold and the battery is dead, but current is generally problem as things tend to blink a lot..

Bashgod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so the red is a better starter, yellow is a better hi output. but do both the red and yellow out perform the stock battery? i have never had any issues starting it, i just dont like the dimming i now have. also sometimes i like to use my hella's and want them to be getting all the power they need.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
In mine I have a Diehard Gold series. My battery was so bad it almost had to be towed(wasn't at home, so couldn't jump it). Its been pretty good, but hasn't seen the Florida summer yet. Didn't get an Optima bcause it's not worth it for a battery going to last 3 years. Down here if your lucky, you can get 3 years out of it:eek::eek:. I remember one time the Jeep said it was 106 degrees. That's what kills the battery. The total was $134.69.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't know *tops are only 3 yr rated batteries.. Oh we also go well over 100 degrees in the summer in direct sun.